Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
scott123  
#1 Posted : Tuesday, June 2, 2009 1:13:36 PM(UTC)
scott123

Groups: Registered

Kenmore (Whirlpool)
Belt Drive

I'm getting a clanging noise (metal against metal) about once every second during the agitation phase. Also, The auger is only intermittently turning clockwise (louder the bang, less of the clockwise movement). Instead of the auger rotating back and forth, it's pretty much only going in one direction. I'm getting some cw movement if the washer's been off for a few days, if I turn it off and on a few times or if the water level is a certain height, but, otherwise, the clothes just spin around in a circle instead of agitating. If I have sheets in the wash, the sheets will go underneath the auger, twist around the inside and stop the movement completely.

Does anyone know what might be causing this?
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

sidfink43  
#2 Posted : Thursday, June 4, 2009 3:01:09 PM(UTC)
sidfink43

Groups: Senior Expert

Hi Scott

Well, your washing machine is more than 10 years old a lot more.

I test and repair appliances donated to a non-profit for resale to raise money for the cause. We get one of these older Whirlpool belt driven machines in about once a month, and even if they work perfectly we do not sell them. They are just too old.

I am thinking no one has responded to your post for the same reason I have, that it is time to replace this machine and get a good used or new model. You can get a good top loading machine for about $150 used, and a new one for $350, and this is the way I would go.

Good luck, sorry we could not have been more helpful.
scott123  
#3 Posted : Tuesday, June 9, 2009 10:58:49 AM(UTC)
scott123

Groups: Registered

Sidfink43, thanks for your reply. Yes, my machine is ancient. The problem is, though, that every time I read reviews on new machines, there seems to be constant complaints. I know the phrase "they don't make things like they used to" is thrown around a lot, but with washing machines, I think it's especially true.

I'm curious, what's a 'good top loading machine' for $350 new? Everything that I'm reading says that top loaders don't clean as well as front loaders and that front loaders seem to do an inferior job to ancient top loaders like my Whirlpool. Right now I'm leaning toward tracking down an $800 Samsung front loader on sale for $500.... and crossing my fingers that I don't get a clunker. If you think I can match the cleaning quality on my Whirlpool with a new top loader, I'm all ears.
sidfink43  
#4 Posted : Tuesday, June 9, 2009 12:53:38 PM(UTC)
sidfink43

Groups: Senior Expert

Hi Scott

There is the general belief that front loaders clean better, and maybe they do but it is marginal at best.

The problem with front loaders is that most of them have computer controls. Computer controls make the machine cost more, make it harder to repair, make it more expensive to repair and incredibly enough, make it more likely you will need a repair.

The basic top loading no frills Roper, Whirlpool or Kenmore will do a fine job. The technology is decades old, proven, reliable and easy to repair. You do not need the frills, they are mostly marketing gimmicks to justify a higher price.

I do not think there is any good service tech out there that would recommend a computer controlled front loader. I don't know the Samsung machine, but I do know that manuals and parts are not easily found for the lesser brands.

If you buy it, get the service contract. One service call will likely cost more than the contract.

Good luck, and check around before you buy, because I am terribly opinionated (and have been known to be wrong)

Good luck, and thanks for updating us
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply