Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

2 Pages12>
New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
damselNdistress  
#1 Posted : Monday, June 1, 2009 6:24:24 AM(UTC)
damselNdistress

Groups: Registered

About 3 months ago, the timer assy went out on my washer and was replaced. Last week it started acting the same way - spinning slower and/or not at all. I know it started acting this way when my 11 yr old tried to fit everything but the kitchen sink into 1 load! It made the awful noise it does when spinning as if off balance until I caught it and started taking things out! But now it doesn't seem to spin fast, sometimes not at all and just in troubleshooting today w/ it empty, it wouldn't even drain the water out! What to do?? This is only a 2 yr old washer that I've already repaired once!
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

applianceman  
#2 Posted : Monday, June 1, 2009 2:36:29 PM(UTC)
applianceman

If its not pumping out it may be something hung in the pump this will also prevent it from spinning. To check this first remove all the water you can from the tub. Then remove the front panel to the right of the tub on the bottom of the washer you should see the pump. Remove the hose (be prepared for water) and feel inside the pump for something that may be clogging it. If this is not your problem post back and we will go from there. Clothes Washer Repair Guide
damselNdistress  
#3 Posted : Wednesday, June 3, 2009 12:42:28 PM(UTC)
damselNdistress

Thanks applianceman, got the front panel off and removed hose (thanks for water warning)! As far as I could feel into the pump there was nothing clogging it. What can I try next?
applianceman  
#4 Posted : Wednesday, June 3, 2009 4:39:30 PM(UTC)
applianceman

I hate to make you put more water in it if it wouldn’t pump but do you remember if it would wash before? If it wouldn’t was before I would look at the lid switch. Sometimes when some puts a big load in these washers the lid switch wires get pulled off. With the front off and the power disconnected look at the top of the tub on the right-hand side you should see two wires going to the lid. See if they look damaged.

Next I would say the belt maybe but that wouldn’t have anything to do with the not pumping out problem.

The pump may be bad if it has power but is not pumping.

The second picture down on this page is of the type lid switch your washer has GE Washer Disassembly Guide
damselNdistress  
#5 Posted : Wednesday, June 3, 2009 5:08:31 PM(UTC)
damselNdistress

Thanks again applianceman - yes the washer did wash, and no, I don't think the wires look bad to the lid swtich. And today when I had the front off, it was even spinning well - so now I guess just the pump isn't working. Not sure why it wouldn't spin before and will now. No chance it could be the timer assembly again, right? Should I plug it back in, reattach the hose and put a little water in to see if I can see the pump function w/ the front cover off?
applianceman  
#6 Posted : Wednesday, June 3, 2009 6:11:48 PM(UTC)
applianceman

I think you are right the problem is the pump because it is working after you removed the water.
damselNdistress  
#7 Posted : Wednesday, June 3, 2009 6:18:54 PM(UTC)
damselNdistress

Do you think that is something I can replace easily, or better to have someone out?
applianceman  
#8 Posted : Thursday, June 4, 2009 5:42:45 AM(UTC)
applianceman

If you were able to remove the hose you can replace this part. Just be sure to disconnect the power before attempting it.
damselNdistress  
#9 Posted : Thursday, June 4, 2009 11:47:58 AM(UTC)
damselNdistress

Hi applianceman. Well, I went and bought a pump and installed it and after letting a little water in, it still doesn't pump it out! Is there some trick to how much water has to be in there before the pump will kick in? I'm hating to let much water in b/c of the big mess it makes when d/c the hoses from the pump! There are no noises or anything while it should be pumping, just silence. Is there anything else I can check? Thanks
applianceman  
#10 Posted : Thursday, June 4, 2009 1:15:27 PM(UTC)
applianceman

Lets go through this again so I make sure I understand you correct you.

When the water is out the tub the washer spins fine. Correct?

The washer will wash (agitate). Correct?

There are no noises when the washer is in spin and water is in the tub. Correct?

If all this is true it sounds like there is no power coming to the pump. Do you have any way of knowing this? Do you have a meter and know how to use it? If not you might want to say you tried and have someone look at it.

As for your question the pump should come on anytime its in spin. Make sure the wires are plugged in good.
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply