Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
RTwinkie  
#1 Posted : Sunday, May 31, 2009 11:30:51 AM(UTC)
RTwinkie

Groups: Registered

Began having intermittent issues with the thing about a month ago. Seems now all we get is PF for just about a second when first plugged in to the outlet. My S.O. (significant other) says she can get the thing to work sometimes by repeatedly plugging the unit in and unplugging it. Sometimes she even holds the START button depressed while plugging it in. She just did this a few minutes ago and the thing went through the whole wash cycle. At least we have clean sheets now! :D

Any ideas as to what is going on. The washer has had very little use, since it is only used for the two of us and was in storage for about 2 years. I have read that the Catalyst was one of the worst washers due to the touch pad controls. :mad:

Cn this be resolved or must I buy a new washer of some brand? :mad:

Thanks,
Dave a.k.a. RTwinkie
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

denman  
#2 Posted : Monday, June 1, 2009 2:46:43 AM(UTC)
denman

Groups: Senior Expert

Was thanked: 11 time(s) in 11 post(s)
Here are your parts

Here is a tech sheet
https://www.servicematters.com/d...0Sheet%20-%203954052.pdf

And here is a service manual
https://secured.whirlpoo...622c81/$FILE/4322673.pdf

Getting a PF when plugging the unit in is normal. Not being able to clear it is not.

I would start at the receptacle, pull it and make sure the wires are tight.
Try plugging it into a different receptacle.

Next I would unplug the unit and using a meter check the continuity of the line cord while jiggling the plug connectors.

Both the above are long shots.

I would the clean/check all connectors in the unit. Make sure the plugs are tight, that none of the pins have backed out and that all of the pins are properly crimped. Check that none of the pins are corroded often a dull brown or gray coating.

Pay special attention to P 5 and P3/4 on the control board.

If you clean and check them all then all that is left is the control board, though this is still a bit of a crap shoot. Unfortunately they do not tell us exactly how the unit detects a Power Failure so it is hard to say exactly where the fault is.

Unplug the unit
Open it up
Remove the ribbon cable from the keypad to the control board at the control board.
Clean the edge connector.
If it is the type where there is not a connector just the insulation is removed, it can be cleaned with a pencil eraser. Do not use an ink eraser as it is too abrasive.
Check the tracks in the ribbon cable for hairline cracks. A magnifying glass helps here.
Would not hurt to clean the connectors and other plugs/receptacles on the board. Use electronics contact cleaner or isopropyl alcohol and a tooth brush. Be gentle and do not reconnect till all the solvent evaporates.
Reconnect everything and give it a try.

Hopefully someone else will jump in with a common cause of your problem.
THIS FORUM IS DEAD!!!!!!!
RTwinkie  
#3 Posted : Monday, June 1, 2009 10:49:49 AM(UTC)
RTwinkie

Hi Denman,

You mentioned "not being able to clear it..." but this is not my problem. It just doesn't stay lit long enough to do anything. You may have meant this, email being what it is.

After removing, inspecting and replacing ALL connectors, including the ribbon connector, the unit still indicates a PF for a couple of seconds and then goes blank. No buttons work at all. Having been an electronic technician for many years, your instructions made basic troubleshooting sense! But thanks for the directions.

So, now am I in need of a circuit board, or what?

I found this part #AP3120735 and the picture looks exactly like the board I have been messing with! Wow, $228.23!!!! Is this worth it or not? Should I just get another washer?

Thanks again,
Dave
denman  
#4 Posted : Monday, June 1, 2009 11:34:02 AM(UTC)
denman

Groups: Senior Expert

Was thanked: 11 time(s) in 11 post(s)
That would be my guess. Though as I said it still is a bit of a crap shoot.
I hate replacing boards without finding a fault on them but in this case the best you can do is the process of elimination and you have done that.
The only other thing you may want to do is check out the keypad, Page 30 in the manual.

Is this worth it or not? Should I just get another washer?

If the unit is in good shape and you are happy with it, it may be worth repairing. Also depends on what a replacement that you would be happy with would cost. If it is getting close to 10 years in age, it will not be long before other parts begin to give out.
THIS FORUM IS DEAD!!!!!!!
poorkenmoreuser  
#5 Posted : Tuesday, October 5, 2010 7:54:01 AM(UTC)
poorkenmoreuser

Originally Posted by: RTwinkie Go to Quoted Post
Hi Denman,

You mentioned "not being able to clear it..." but this is not my problem. It just doesn't stay lit long enough to do anything. You may have meant this, email being what it is.

After removing, inspecting and replacing ALL connectors, including the ribbon connector, the unit still indicates a PF for a couple of seconds and then goes blank. No buttons work at all. Having been an electronic technician for many years, your instructions made basic troubleshooting sense! But thanks for the directions.

I found this part #AP3120735 and the picture looks exactly like the board I have been messing with! Wow, $228.23!!!! Is this worth it or not? Should I just get another washer?

Thanks again,
Dave

Hi,

I have the exact same problem with my Kenmore Elite washer 110-20072-992. Did you try replacing that circuit board ? I am facing the same dilemma, whether to get a new washer or spend that money on repair. Please advise. Thanks .. VG
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply