Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Gary Lee  
#1 Posted : Wednesday, May 27, 2009 8:57:43 AM(UTC)
Gary Lee

Groups: Registered

When you run the washing machine regular cycles - such as pernament press, heavy duty, at the end of the cycle, the last cycle being spin, the water has not drained from the tub. In rerunning the spin cycle by setting the dial to the spin cycle at the end of one of the regular cycles, the water then drains from the tub.

What is the problem and what further things, or tests, do I need to do to confirm what the exact problem is?

I am not a professional washing machine person but am pretty good at following instructions.

Thanks for any help you can give me.
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

Gene  
#2 Posted : Wednesday, May 27, 2009 4:37:10 PM(UTC)
Gene

Groups: Senior Expert, Administrators

Was thanked: 4 time(s) in 4 post(s)
Gary,

The first thing I would do is remove the washer cabinet and the pump and check the pump and its hoses for a clog.

Gene.
File Attachment(s):
How to remove the washer cabinet.doc (25kb) downloaded 7 time(s).
How to remove the pump.doc (25kb) downloaded 2 time(s).
sidfink43  
#3 Posted : Wednesday, May 27, 2009 4:38:17 PM(UTC)
sidfink43

Groups: Senior Expert

Hi Gary

Can you give us some more information. Specifically, what happens at the end of the wash cycle? Does the machine drain, then spin, then go into the rinse cycle, at which time it does not drain and then spin? Or is there some other scenario?

If you can describe in detail how it is working we can make some suggestions, the most likely of which will be the timer.

Thanks
Gary Lee  
#4 Posted : Wednesday, May 27, 2009 8:21:19 PM(UTC)
Gary Lee

Thanks, Gene
Garu
Gary Lee  
#5 Posted : Wednesday, May 27, 2009 8:26:55 PM(UTC)
Gary Lee

Well, as best I can recall, it goes into the rinse cycle and does not drain then into the spin cycle, and again does not drain. If I then just rerun the spin it spins and drains.

Thanks for all your help.

Gary
sidfink43  
#6 Posted : Thursday, May 28, 2009 4:16:31 PM(UTC)
sidfink43

Hi Gary

You got lucky, Gene and I answered at just the same time, so you have one expert (Gene) and one wannabe (me) looking at your problem.

Gene's suggestion was a good one. If, you do not have an obstruction then I think the timer is your problem. Here is your part.

Part Details - WHIRLPOOL Timer, part number: 661597

However, this is a pretty expensive part, with no guarantee that it will fix your problem, so let's see what Gene has to say, since he will be automatically notified about this answer.
Gary Lee  
#7 Posted : Saturday, May 30, 2009 7:09:42 AM(UTC)
Gary Lee

Hi Sid,

Ran the washing machine again using the heavy cycle. It loads the water and washes as normal. However, this time after the wash portion of the cycle, it did not drain the wash water, nor did it add any water for the rinse cycle. It ran through the rinse cycle without the water onto the spin cycle and it did not drain the water. It may have drained some of the water but I could not really tell. Moved the dial back to the rinse part of the cycle and started it again. This time it added water to rinse the clothes and moved on to the spin part of the cycle in which it spun and drained all the water. I believe I restarted from the rinse cycle portion of the regular wash part of the cycle. (There are three major type cycle for this machine: Permment Press, Regular Wash, Heavy Wash.)

The last time I ran it, when I sent you the first post, it actually added water for the rinse cycle and I think drained the water before the rinse cycle. It just did not take the water out on the spin portion of the program until I reran that portion.

Is this then a defective timer or other problems or a combination of problems?

Thanks for all your help

Gary
sidfink43  
#8 Posted : Saturday, May 30, 2009 12:33:27 PM(UTC)
sidfink43

Hi Gary

I am of the school of thought that it is the timer, but the only way to be certain will be to buy one and put it on. Since your machine drains some of the time that pretty much rules out any blockage. And since you can get it to drain and spin some of the time that pretty much rules out a problem with the water level system.

Sorry I cannot be more definitive, but that's the problem with timer issues, you just have to replace it to see if that was the problem.

Well, good luck and let us know what you do and how it works out.
Gary Lee  
#9 Posted : Saturday, May 30, 2009 1:36:42 PM(UTC)
Gary Lee

Thank you, Sid

I agree with you that it is the timer. Checked with a local appliance parts place (Overland Park, Kansas) and they said the part has to be ordered and is non returnable. Is that normal for that type of part?

If that is the case then we will probably go get a new washer.

Again, Sid, thanks for all your help and assistance.

Gary
sidfink43  
#10 Posted : Saturday, May 30, 2009 2:09:46 PM(UTC)
sidfink43

Yeah, it is normal that these parts are non-returnable. If you return it they have to discard it.

Sounds like you got plenty of use out of your existing machine, and probably is time for a new one. My advice is to get a basic top loader, and specifically to get one that does not have a computerized control. The basic machine will get your clothes just as clean as a fancy one; the bells and whistles are just that, bells and whistles.

If you get a front loader or one with a computer control, I would advise getting the extended warranty.

Good luck, sorry we could not get your machine going, but sounds like you and your machine are going to a better place.
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply