Discuss

Kitchen Aid keeps filling

in

Washer Repair

. "

I'm guessing on the age, since I bought it used. I can't find the model # to save my life.

..."

Register | FAQ's | New Posts | Today's Posts | Extras
Appliance Repair Forum > Appliance Repair Help > Washer Repair » Kitchen Aid keeps filling

Post New Thread  Reply By reading any content on this site you agree to AppliancePartsPros.com, Inc. disclaimer and Terms of Use.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 11-04-2011, 09:57 PM

afoulsmell is on a distinguished road
Default Kitchen Aid keeps filling
Brand: Kitchen Aid   Age: 5 - 10 years   

Appliance Parts from AppliancePartPros.com

I'm guessing on the age, since I bought it used. I can't find the model # to save my life. I looked in all the common places- don't see it. Anyway, my washer won't stop filling and start agitating. I took the cover off and checked the pressure switch's tube. Unobstructed, so I snipped off a half inch or so and reattached. While it was off, I blew into one end as I capped the other- good pressure. I cleaned out the tub as best I could, but I can't find a spanner wrench at any of the stores in town, so I couldn't get it out to inspect the inside. I put everything back together being careful not to damage or crimp the tube. I started a load, and it still wouldn't stop fillling. I pulled the tube off the pressure switch as it was filling up, and I blew into the little spout that the tube connects to. It didn't really take much pressure to stop the water flow and start the agitation. I blew into the tube with a full tub of water, and it made bubbles, right on time. Then, I went beyond the call of duty and sucked on it. Water came right up to my mouth. As the water level got really low in the tub during the spin cycle, I blew on the tube until there was no water in it- just air blowing through. I just don't get it.

See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

Old 11-05-2011, 02:55 AM
Senior Expert
APP Volunteer

denman is a glorious beacon of light

Sounds like the water level (pressure) switch is toast.
You have checked the fill tube and it seems OK so I would replace the switch.
Blowing into it stops the fill but perhaps you are blowing with higher pressure than would be there by the tube filling.
You may want to replace both the tube and the switch.
Old 11-05-2011, 08:26 AM

Thanks for getting back to me, denman. I hate it that I haven't been able to check out the underside of the tub, and the area where the tube connects to the tub. I wanted to be able to say for sure that the problem wasn't down there so that I would feel pretty safe about spending the money on the switch and tube. I was pretty frustrated when I found that the switch worked when I blew into it. Now it's just an issue of whether I'm blowing too hard or not... that's tough to quantify :-)

People like you on these forums, and youtube videos have helped me to take apart my washer on my own, and then put it back together. I've tried before without help, but it got pretty ugly. I sure do appreciate the assistance. It comes in pretty handy, cause I'm one of those folks who really can't afford a service call.
Old 11-05-2011, 02:48 PM
Senior Expert
APP Volunteer

denman is a glorious beacon of light

There is a way to check it but it is a pain in the rump.

Measure the tub to where the water fills.
Then get a pail at least that deep and fill it with water.
Get some clear tubing with the same ID as the fill/pressure tube.
Attach it to the fill valve.
Try to keep it as short as possible, you are trying to mimic the tube in the machine so length does make a difference as it will change the internal pressure
Tape the other end of the tube onto a stick.
Start the machine then lower the stick into the pail of water.
If the water shuts off when the water level gets to the correct level in the tube than the level switch is OK.
Old 11-05-2011, 09:08 PM

That seems like a pretty good way to do it. I ordered a switch today. I hated doing it, but it's gotta be either that switch, my tube, or that little outlet chamber on the tub. I think it's the switch. We shall see. Thanks again, Denman.
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.