Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
cantgetup  
#1 Posted : Sunday, May 17, 2009 4:58:29 PM(UTC)
cantgetup

Groups: Registered

picked up a used unit and put water in it and plugged it in and tried timer settings. it will drain and spin but no agitate. doesn't sound like anythings happening at all on wash but i hear a hum like the motor may be running or attemping to?? also pinched water level switch with my hand but had no effect. i can turn agitator by hand freely in both directions with no effort or noise. machine also makes rather nasty sound when spin brake engages! almost like ground glass scraping! thanks!
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

cantgetup  
#2 Posted : Sunday, May 17, 2009 10:36:15 PM(UTC)
cantgetup

i did a forum search but TOO MANY irrelevant posts popped to search thru! thanks!
richappy  
#3 Posted : Monday, May 18, 2009 1:11:16 AM(UTC)
richappy

Groups: Senior Expert

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)
You might have a bad transmission. I would remove the two control panel screws, tilt it back and remove the two ripply clamps and the lid switch connector. Remove outer panel and the pump. Turn the motor shaft clockwise. If hard to turn, you probably have a bad transmission or a jammed coupler. Just pull motor and check by turning the coupler conterclockwise. If ok and the agitator turns back and forth, you may have a bad timer.
run the washer in agitate and see if the motor runs. If not, you have a bad timer. You can remove the cover off the timer to check for burnt contacts to verify. Part # AP3607885.
cantgetup  
#4 Posted : Monday, May 18, 2009 1:16:02 PM(UTC)
cantgetup

ok. the humming i was hearing is the water valve trying to let more water in to trip level switch. it only has 2 settings unlike what i am used to as variable. apparently you cant trip it by squeezing mechanism by hand. after access to components was gained i blew into air line and agitation commensed. will run cycle to check out further. i'm wonderin if the brake noise just scared someone into replacement due to high repair estimate. thanks!
cantgetup  
#5 Posted : Monday, May 18, 2009 3:03:57 PM(UTC)
cantgetup

jumped lid switch at plug and ran it thru a cycle,all appears to work. brake sounds ok with load in drum. takes about 5 revs to stop. maybe i'll replace my old belt drive whirlpool with this 1? since i have a spare for parts i picked up last year that had weak spin.
richappy  
#6 Posted : Tuesday, May 19, 2009 12:37:11 AM(UTC)
richappy

Groups: Senior Expert

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)
Seems like someone ground the brake shoes on this one as I mention in my "sticky" above "replacing direct drive washer brake shoes".
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply