Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Master of none  
#1 Posted : Friday, October 28, 2011 10:05:25 AM(UTC)
Master of none

Groups: Registered

I need some help troubleshooting my whirlpool washer. After noticing a humming sound come from the motor. I seen on you tube how I could bypass the timer and get power directly to the motor. First I took the motor off than tested it pluging it direct to the wall. I got the same result, a humm sound.

I replaced it with a new one. Before putting installing it I hooked it up direct to the wall. Im still getting a humming sound. I'm thinking it's the cap, but my local electrical place tested it and said it was good. I could really use your feedback on this.. I'm stuck!
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

Joe / APP Team  
#2 Posted : Friday, October 28, 2011 12:36:41 PM(UTC)
Joe / APP Team

Groups: Moderators

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Master of none Go to Quoted Post
I need some help troubleshooting my whirlpool washer. After noticing a humming sound come from the motor. I seen on you tube how I could bypass the timer and get power directly to the motor. First I took the motor off than tested it pluging it direct to the wall. I got the same result, a humm sound.

I replaced it with a new one. Before putting installing it I hooked it up direct to the wall. Im still getting a humming sound. I'm thinking it's the cap, but my local electrical place tested it and said it was good. I could really use your feedback on this.. I'm stuck!

Master,
It's not likely a "cap" a damaged capacitor would equate to an "open" circuit, and the motor wouldn't hum. Are you positive you have made the proper connections at the motor,sounds like you may have wired the run winding instead of the start winding or backwards. Did the motor or box the motor came in appear to be damaged ? A new motor that's bad is a rarity.

:confused: :confused: :confused:
Master of none  
#3 Posted : Sunday, October 30, 2011 3:14:42 PM(UTC)
Master of none

Groups: Registered

Thanks for your speedy reply... It's not the motor or the capacitor. I just tested them on my brothers washer, they work great! I don't think it's the timer because I bypassed it and got the same outcome. I believe the next thing to look for could be a lose or faulty wire or plug. Wish me luck!
Joe / APP Team  
#4 Posted : Monday, October 31, 2011 5:27:53 AM(UTC)
Joe / APP Team

Groups: Moderators

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Master of none Go to Quoted Post
Thanks for your speedy reply... It's not the motor or the capacitor. I just tested them on my brothers washer, they work great! I don't think it's the timer because I bypassed it and got the same outcome. I believe the next thing to look for could be a lose or faulty wire or plug. Wish me luck!

Master,

You're on the right track, check the wire harness and connections from end to end.

No damage or issues with the wire harness, repalce the timer. The timer supplies line voltage and neutral to the motor at several different contacts depending on the direction the motor needs to run.

:) :) :)
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply