Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
markpisc  
#1 Posted : Saturday, May 9, 2009 8:13:43 AM(UTC)
markpisc

Groups: Registered

The washer fills, agitates, and drains but will not spin.

My wife washed two heavy blankets and said they we still soaked when the washer finished. I checked it out and it looks like the load was overbalanced. The heavier blanket ended up on one side of the washer.

I rebalanced the blankets and tried rewashing. same thing happened and this time there was a definite smell of something hot.

I took the blankets out and tried the spin again, no joy. I took the front cover off. The motor runs, the belt tensions but it will not spin. I can move the tub pulley clockwise but not counter-clockwise.

One other clue. I have noticed that for about 4 months during the spin cycle that it seems to make quite a bit noise, like maybe a bad bearing.

Is it possible that the BEARING - UPPER SPIN is out? Would that cause this type of thing? Or do you think it something more drastic like the tranmission or motor?

Thanks for your help!
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

sidfink43  
#2 Posted : Sunday, May 10, 2009 6:48:25 AM(UTC)
sidfink43

Groups: Senior Expert

Well, given that it agitates it is not likely to be the transmission, but is likely to be the tub bearing. The problem you noted earlier is probably the tub bearing hanging up the motor somewhat, and you big wash load was probably the catalyst for complete failure. Replacing the tub bearing seems in your future.

Hope this helps, and let us know how it turns out.

Good luck.
markpisc  
#3 Posted : Sunday, May 10, 2009 7:04:53 AM(UTC)
markpisc

I guess my next step is to take the tub out and check that bearing.

I have never taken one of the apart before. I have the front off and I see how to get the top up.

step 1. remove the splash tub cover
step 2. remove the agitator
step 3. remove the inner tub
step 4. remove the outer tub
step 5. remove and check the bearing

Does this sound right? Is there an easier way to replace the bearing?

Thanks for your help!
sidfink43  
#4 Posted : Sunday, May 10, 2009 7:20:18 AM(UTC)
sidfink43

That's about right. There is no easy way to do this.

You may want to order the repair manual. It will be a big help, and useful for the future. You have a rather expensive machine, and it should last for a long time.

Part Details - FRIGIDAIRE Service manual, part number: AP3219882

Good luck.
markpisc  
#5 Posted : Sunday, May 17, 2009 1:27:09 PM(UTC)
markpisc

It is is the bearing on the bottom of the tranmission assembly. gravely, sticky, noisy.

Does this mean I need to replace then entire transmission assy? from the parts manual it looks that way. I can't see how to get that bearing off and I don't see a separate part number for it.

Sigh.
sidfink43  
#6 Posted : Sunday, May 17, 2009 2:26:34 PM(UTC)
sidfink43

Well, sorry it was not a less expensive part. I believe you will have to replace the entire transmission and that you should do so. Given that this is a very expensive machine, and the fact that you have been able to disassemble it effectively I recommend that you go ahead to do the repair.

You should also examine the other parts of the machine while you have it apart, particularly the tub bearing and associated parts. If they look worn on appear to be a problem in any way, replace them at the same time, and you should have a machine that works for a long time. Remember though, that this is a compact washer/dryer and big items are better suited for the laundromat where they have those big machines. (I have twice had to repair my washer due to my ambition for the machine being greater than its capability)

Good luck, and let us know how the repair works out.
sdusharm  
#7 Posted : Saturday, November 14, 2009 4:10:30 PM(UTC)
sdusharm

flsg5lrg5o
my washer will not spin the supper spin bearing is set up.........is it hard to replace........is their someone who can walk me thru the process
sandra brown  
#8 Posted : Tuesday, November 17, 2009 10:11:41 AM(UTC)
sandra brown

Originally Posted by: sidfink43 Go to Quoted Post
Well, given that it agitates it is not likely to be the transmission, but is likely to be the tub bearing. The problem you noted earlier is probably the tub bearing hanging up the motor somewhat, and you big wash load was probably the catalyst for complete failure. Replacing the tub bearing seems in your future.

Hope this helps, and let us know how it turns out.

Good luck.

how do you replace the bearing.........we can not get the tub out........what do we do.........we are torn down but can not remove the tub.
sandra brown  
#9 Posted : Tuesday, November 17, 2009 10:15:38 AM(UTC)
sandra brown

need help take the tub out..........broke down...........agitator out.........took some nuts out ..........still cannot remore it.......
sidfink43  
#10 Posted : Tuesday, November 17, 2009 1:00:28 PM(UTC)
sidfink43

Hi Sandra

If you will start a new post with your full model number and a good description of what your original problem was and exactly what you have done so far I am sure someone to help you.

Thanks
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply