Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
jag11727  
#1 Posted : Saturday, May 9, 2009 7:36:08 AM(UTC)
jag11727

Groups: Registered

Washer leaks water down clutch shaft and was wondering is the tub seal the culprit. it is the only seal i can find on the web that exists. if so how do i replace it, have not been able to find an exploded view of assembly. i found a post stating to loosen only the two tub screws, tap and lift? The machine is also very loud when it spins could a bearing also be bad due to water penetration? please help!!
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

sidfink43  
#2 Posted : Sunday, May 10, 2009 6:54:05 AM(UTC)
sidfink43

Groups: Senior Expert

Yes, you should replace the tub seal. However, you need to think about this for a momment.

This is not an expensive job, but it is a time consuming and somewhat difficult one, and may require a special tool. More importantly, water may have leaked into your transmission and this means failure down the road. (and that road may not be very long) Take off you cabinet and look for oil splatters on the inside of the cabinet.

You may want to replace this unit with a good used or inexpensive new unit.

Think about it and let us know what happens.

Good luck.
jag11727  
#3 Posted : Monday, May 11, 2009 6:53:49 PM(UTC)
jag11727

Groups: Registered

thank you sidfink43, no oil just rust from water that came into contact with transmission shaft. the leak is small but enough to get attention. I am assuming that to repair its 1)remove top, 2) remove screw from agitator, 3) remove agitator 4) pull up inner tub and then ?
You mention a tool is this special tool a spanner wrench or a special tool to remove the seal assembly. I haven't come across anything i wasn't able to fix so i think i am going for it, can you provide any additional information?
sidfink43  
#4 Posted : Tuesday, May 12, 2009 9:26:22 AM(UTC)
sidfink43

Groups: Senior Expert

Ok, Glad you are going to try this. It is not difficult, except for getting the agitator off.

Here is a manual which I strongly recommend you purchase, as it is very good, not expensive and will serve you for any repairs in the future.

Part Details - WHIRLPOOL Automatic washer (direct drive) - whirlpool repair manuals, part number: AP3073574

You will see in the manual that they do not use a special spanner wrench to remove the agitator bottom, but I strongly recommend you get one.

Good luck, and let us know how it turns out.
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply