Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
pkzip  
#1 Posted : Friday, October 21, 2011 12:41:00 PM(UTC)
pkzip

Groups: Registered

Hello,

First time using this forum.

I have a Whirlpool washer that is approx. 13 years old. Bought it brand new back then.

It has been a good washer. The coupler has been replaced a couple of times, but other than that it has been great.

Now it appears the washer is spinning slow during the spin cycle. The clothes do not get thoroughly wrung out. I will take a few clothes out then try the spin cycle again. It appears to spin faster like it should, then.

From what I have researched, it sounds like the clutch might be slipping. I don't know if this is a direct drive or a belt driven washer. We have never had a belt replaced on this during the 13 years. I kind of feel it might be a direct drive washer.

I guess my question is. Can a fairly handy person replace a worn clutch? Should I just call in an repairman? Is it possible it could be something else besides a worn clutch? Or, giving the age of the washer, should I just start looking for a new washer? Overall, the washer has performed good for 13 years.

Like everybody else finances are tough.

Thank you.

pkzip
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

sidfink43  
#2 Posted : Sunday, October 23, 2011 5:06:37 PM(UTC)
sidfink43

Groups: Senior Expert

You do have a direct drive machine and the clutch/brake shoes are probably the problem and this is a repair you can do yourself and save big $$ both on parts and labor.

See the Sticky on Direct Drive brakes by Richappy at the top of the first page under Washers and the video on this in the video library that you will also find on the top of the first page of the washer section.
pkzip  
#3 Posted : Sunday, October 23, 2011 10:25:39 PM(UTC)
pkzip

Groups: Registered

Thanks for the tip sidfink43.

I found the post you mentioned regarding the brake shoes by richappy.

But from reading his post, It sounds like it's a lot more complicated than what you said.

Maybe I'm reading it wrong. He talks about having a special spanner wrench.

Anyway, you said there was a video in the video library about changing the brake shoes. I had a hard time finding the video library. And when I found the library, I could not find anything about Whirlpool direct drive brake shoes. I did a search and came up with nothing.

Can you help me find the video? Then I can determine if I think I can do the job.

Thank again.

pkzip
sidfink43  
#4 Posted : Monday, October 24, 2011 4:40:55 AM(UTC)
sidfink43

Groups: Senior Expert

Here is the one on changing out the clutch lining, which should be all you need to do.

Check the brakes when you do this, but if things look ok, leave them alone.

It is not a difficult repair, it does take a little bit of time the first time and it will help to have someone help you.

AppliancePartsPros's Channel - YouTube

good luck, hope this helps.
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply