Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
kjaerringa  
#1 Posted : Tuesday, May 5, 2009 4:28:52 PM(UTC)
kjaerringa

Groups: Registered

My son just loaded the washer with all of his bedding, not making sure it was distributed around the agitator........comforter draped over agitator. Didn't realize a problem until a sudden grinding noise sent me to look. Will agitate slightly, husband thinks it is the gearbox? I unloaded machine, but it still makes a terrible noise. My son is draining it manually.

Husband is very good mechanically, but please advise.......the cheaper the fix, the better........money is tight. :eek: Ok, we know it is not the belt. It is direct drive. Do I need a motor coupler?

Thanks.
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

sidfink43  
#2 Posted : Wednesday, May 6, 2009 8:41:15 AM(UTC)
sidfink43

Groups: Senior Expert

Well, all of us who have clunky sons have been where you are. We made ours do their own laundry, but I am not sure we came out ahead in the long run. I think laudry mats with large washers were finally invented to take care of this problem.

As far as your machine is concerned, it is probably the transmission, although you may be lucky and have it be the motor coupling.

You need to tear down the machine, here is a good video

YouTube - Direct Drive Washing Machine Repair Video Tutorial *Watch in HIGH Quality!*

and examine the coupling. If it is ok, then using the plastic motor coupling try to turn the transmission, turning the plastic coupling counter clockwise, and then clockwise. If you encounter problems, take out the transmission and examine it. It may be that you can fix it by reinserting the transmission, but if not, and you determine/beleive the transmission is the problem then you should replace it.

Note this is not a guaranteed fix since something else may have been jammed, but it is your best bet to avoid the dreaded expensived repair tech.

Good luck and let us know how it goes, and remember the laundry mat.
kjaerringa  
#3 Posted : Sunday, May 10, 2009 6:53:43 AM(UTC)
kjaerringa

Groups: Registered

It was just the motor coupler, thank goodness! A cheap fix for what could have been a disaster. Son has now been completely inserviced in how to disassemble and reassemble the washer.;) He is certain to be more careful next time! Thanks for your help!
sidfink43  
#4 Posted : Sunday, May 10, 2009 7:22:38 AM(UTC)
sidfink43

Groups: Senior Expert

Glad it worked out. That is what the motor coupling is there for, to break so a more expensive part does not break. Glad you were able to make you son do the repair, we were not able to ever master that part.

Thanks for updating us!
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply