Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
smpsn6  
#1 Posted : Saturday, May 2, 2009 1:07:51 PM(UTC)
smpsn6

Groups: Registered

My washers serial # is: cf4985455. It will fill and drain just like it is supposed to, but when it comes time for it to agitate it has a loud humming/knocking sound. I think I can hear the motor try to engage, but it just won't. About a year ago, I replaced the dogs inside the upper agitator and they are fine. I am unable to turn the lower agitator(even by hand).
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

sidfink43  
#2 Posted : Saturday, May 2, 2009 2:51:36 PM(UTC)
sidfink43

Groups: Senior Expert

Hi

We need a little more information.

Does it spin after it drains, or does it sound like the motor is running but nothing is happening?

Does the timer continue to move in the agitate and spin cycles?

If it is not agitating or spinning you need to see if the motor coupling is broken. The following video will show you how, except you do not need to remove the pump, just tie it off to the left.

YouTube - Direct Drive Washing Machine Repair Video Tutorial *Watch in HIGH Quality!*

Good luck, and post what you find out.
smpsn6  
#3 Posted : Saturday, May 2, 2009 6:15:06 PM(UTC)
smpsn6

Hello again.

No, the washer does not spin after draining, or at any time during the cycle. The motor sounds fine except for the loud humming/knocking sound.

The timer continues even though there is nothing else happening(besides filling and draining).

Thank you for your time, it is much appreciated.
sidfink43  
#4 Posted : Sunday, May 3, 2009 5:29:59 AM(UTC)
sidfink43

Ok, good

You need to take it apart as shown in the video and check the motor coupling. Let us know what you find.

Thanks
smpsn6  
#5 Posted : Tuesday, May 5, 2009 1:23:26 PM(UTC)
smpsn6

OK, I took the washer apart, checked the coupler(which was broken), ordered and replaced that, put everything back together--it worked fine, but I had a puddle of water in the floor. I took it back apart and realized the pump is now leaking. I have already ordered a pump for it, but the only thing is that when I did the coupler I was unable to get the pump off the motor. Can it be built on there or is it just stuck? I am afraid of pulling too hard and breaking something.

The guy in the video had no problem at all. Is there a trick to getting the pump off?
sidfink43  
#6 Posted : Tuesday, May 5, 2009 3:28:50 PM(UTC)
sidfink43

Ok, first glad the coupler fix worked. You saved yourself a buch of money and will have a good, functioning washer once you change the pump.

Unfortnuately, there is no good way to get the stuck pump off of the motor. What happened is that the leaking pump caused the pump to rust onto the motor shaft, a fairly typical situation with these machines and leaking pumps.

You need to take the motor off again, with the pump attached and as gently as possible beat the pump off without damaing the motor. Of course, it does not matter if you damage the pump.

When we have this situation we generally tap all around the pump with a mallet and a rod until we break the rust lock, but this is an art, not a science. You can also try using some penetrating oil that is designed to free rusted parts, but be careful not to get any into the motor. I have never damaged a motor, so I do not know how much abuse it can take.

Good luck, and let us know how it turns out.
smpsn6  
#7 Posted : Wednesday, May 6, 2009 6:23:00 PM(UTC)
smpsn6

I fussed and fretted off and on all evening yesterday about how to get that pump off the motor. Finally gave up for the evening and tried again this morning before all the kids woke up. I pried and I hammered and was about to give up and call for reinforcements when it finally gave up the fight and just popped off. I cleaned the shaft and waited for the pump to get here. When I received the pump I put everything back together and it worked like a charm.

That washer hasn't worked like that in a LONG time. I commend you guys(and gals?) on a job well done. If it wasn't for you all this mom of four would have been out a lot more money for a repair man and all the extra expense of service calls and mileage. I hope you all are around for a long time.

Thank you!;)
sidfink43  
#8 Posted : Thursday, May 7, 2009 6:44:20 AM(UTC)
sidfink43

Well, thank you for the kind words and more importantly for updating us. Really glad you got it fixed, those pumps can be difficult and really, really glad you were able to save the money on the repair. Plus, next time (hopefully there is no next time) you will know how to fix anything on it!
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply