Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
iamatke  
#1 Posted : Saturday, October 8, 2011 6:53:23 AM(UTC)
iamatke

Groups: Registered

My washer (Whirlpool direct drive LSQ9549LWO) will not spin. I have pulled and inspected the coupler and it appears fine. I can hear the motor and I can't find anything between the tubs. My question is, I believe this would be the brakes, clutch, or transmission and I am trying to determine which one it is. I can see what appears to be some gear oil sprayed around. With the motor removed I turn the coupler clockwise and it engages the clutch which begins to turn. It is difficult to do by hand. Is the basket supposed to turn when I do that?? I feel I can do the repairs if it is the clutch or brakes, but probably would not spend the money on a tranny.
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

sidfink43  
#2 Posted : Saturday, October 8, 2011 5:10:27 PM(UTC)
sidfink43

Groups: Senior Expert

It sounds like a clutch issue. By pass the lid switch and operate the machine with the cabinet off and put it in spin. If you observe the transmission turning but the machine will not spin, the clutch/brakes are likely the issue.

See the STicky by Richappy for more details.
iamatke  
#3 Posted : Monday, October 10, 2011 10:46:38 AM(UTC)
iamatke

Thanks. I did what you suggested. It will spin, but stops, the tranny continues to turn. Also, I can stop it when spinning with just slight pressure, give it a little push and off it goes again. Would I feel resistance if it were the brakes?? I suspect I would feel some sort of binding sensation if it were. If it were the brakes, would the tranny still spin freely when you held the basket?? I suspect the clutch, which I can order and do. I don't want to order one part then find out I need the other.
sidfink43  
#4 Posted : Monday, October 10, 2011 1:47:32 PM(UTC)
sidfink43

You have the classic signs of a bad clutch. That should fix things.
iamatke  
#5 Posted : Monday, October 10, 2011 8:31:18 PM(UTC)
iamatke

Thanks, that is sort of what I figured. I will order up the clutch assy. I didn't use the spanner wrench to take the basket out. Do I need one to re-install it, and is there a procedure for installing the basket and setting up the tube height with relation to how far the agitator is off the bottom of the basket?? And how do you know how tight to tighten that spanner nut??
sidfink43  
#6 Posted : Tuesday, October 11, 2011 3:38:53 AM(UTC)
sidfink43

You don't need to take off the basket to replace the clutch. Just take the agitator off and the transmission will come out when you take off the three bolts that hold it on.

Good luck.
iamatke  
#7 Posted : Tuesday, October 11, 2011 4:58:02 AM(UTC)
iamatke

Yeah, I got that, but I did take it out to clean and lube the brake shoes and check for roller play.
iamatke  
#8 Posted : Tuesday, October 11, 2011 8:22:46 AM(UTC)
iamatke

I just figured out why that happened with the basket height, I should have looked more closely at the drive block!! Worn down, no keyways so it was down too low on the tube.
sidfink43  
#9 Posted : Tuesday, October 11, 2011 9:09:08 AM(UTC)
sidfink43

Well that will do it. Interesting, your problem happens only about 1-5% of the time but glad you found it

Thanks for the update
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply