Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
JohnLyles  
#1 Posted : Friday, September 30, 2011 5:54:39 PM(UTC)
JohnLyles

Groups: Registered

I have replaced the agitator "dogs" three times in the past 6 months, and it does not resolve my problem. The agitator auger seems to fit very loosely onto the agitator base. I can move it from side to side about 1/2 inch. Because of this 1/2 inch of "play", the cam that holds the "dogs" randomly becomes slightly off-center inside the auger when the washer is running, and the "dogs" miss connecting with auger teeth. I just tested it with a load of clothes - the auger turned nicely for about 15 seconds, then started slipping for about 30 seconds. If I manually apply downward pressure to the top of the auger, it no longer slips. If I slightly tilt the auger to the side, it no longer slips. The cam's plastic screw with the spring is tightened completely. The washer is perfectly level. I just replaced the entire cam, dogs, screw, and spring yesterday. And today I replaced the auger spacer/washer that fits between the agitator base and the auger. I thought that perhaps a repairman had replaced my agitator auger with the wrong part number while I was on a business trip, but the part number is 8054498, just as the Kenmore diagram states. Could the auger's teeth be worn down? They appear to be rather sharp - not worn down. I am stumped. Shouldn't the cam fit somewhat snugly inside the auger - so that the "dogs" symmetrically connect with the auger teeth? Should I be able to wiggle the auger from side to side 1/2 inch while everything is tightened down? Why is this auger so loose????????????
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

sidfink43  
#2 Posted : Sunday, October 2, 2011 5:33:03 PM(UTC)
sidfink43

Groups: Senior Expert

Well everything you did should have fixed things. I have never seen a sitution where the teeth that the dogs engage have been worn.

It just sounds like it has not gone back together correctly, but I cannot tell anything is wrong from your description.
JohnLyles  
#3 Posted : Monday, October 3, 2011 6:02:16 AM(UTC)
JohnLyles

It is put together correctly.
When the agitator auger is placed on top of the agitator, before the cam is inserted or the plastic screw and spring are tightened - should the auger have 1/2" of play from side to side? Or should it be a snug fit? The top of the agitator seems to be about 1/2" smaller in diameter than the diameter of the inside bottom of the auger. So what keeps the auger from wobbling around on the top of the agitator? This is my problem. Inside the bottom of the auger it appears to have some plastic fins around the entire circumference , but they are either worn down or broken off. Are these "fins" supposed to function as a "reducer" so that the auger fits snugly on top of the agitator?
sidfink43  
#4 Posted : Monday, October 3, 2011 11:29:01 AM(UTC)
sidfink43

The auger does fit tightly on top of the bottom piece of the agitator, so it sounds like either the top or bottom has something wrong with it. There should not be in play once everything is back together.
JohnLyles  
#5 Posted : Tuesday, October 4, 2011 4:50:39 AM(UTC)
JohnLyles

I was hoping that someone at APP could look inside the bottom of a new 8054468 auger and see if these "fins" form a "reducer" that would fit snugly around the top of the agitator. Apparently not! I will order a new auger today from APP and post with the results.
sidfink43  
#6 Posted : Tuesday, October 4, 2011 2:45:15 PM(UTC)
sidfink43

John

Those of us who reply to posts on this Forum are not associated with APP. We are volunteers spread all over the country.

If you find you do not need the part you can return it to APP.

Good luck
JohnLyles  
#7 Posted : Monday, October 10, 2011 7:03:53 AM(UTC)
JohnLyles

I received the new agitator auger as expected on Thursday, Oct 6. It looks 99.9% the same as the old/original auger, with the difference being signs of wear. BUT, this new auger does not wobble around during the wash cycle. It does not skip or miss, but rather it continuously spins and is very quiet. The original auger would miss, and make a slapping noise that was annoying. The $64,000 question: why did a new auger resolve the problem? I am using the same "dogs" as before, same everything except for the new auger. The original auger appears to be slightly out of round, and I mean VERY slightly. Bottom line: problem resolved.
sidfink43  
#8 Posted : Monday, October 10, 2011 1:45:54 PM(UTC)
sidfink43

Great, glad you got it fixed. As to the "why", I don't know. When I am lucky enough to get something fixed I don't ask questions, I just quietly leave.

Thanks for updating us.
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply