Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
crookster  
#1 Posted : Friday, April 24, 2009 1:16:20 PM(UTC)
crookster

Groups: Registered

Washing machine will not spin, I thought it was a problem with the drive belt; but found out that this model does not have a drive belt since it is direct drive. Machine was purchased 16 years ago, but was only used for a year; it was then stored in my garage until about a year and half ago. In short, the machine has only been used for about two and a half years. Please help.

Dave
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

sidfink43  
#2 Posted : Saturday, April 25, 2009 4:47:21 PM(UTC)
sidfink43

Groups: Senior Expert

Can you give us a little more information

1. Does it spin after the wash cycle but not after the rinse cycle?

2. Does it drain after the wash cycle and after the rinse cycle?

3. When it is not spinning, can you hear the motor running?

4. Does the timer advance in the spin cycle when it is not spinning?

Please provide any other info you think will help and let's see what this tells us. Thanks
crookster  
#3 Posted : Monday, April 27, 2009 5:57:24 AM(UTC)
crookster

Originally Posted by: sidfink43 Go to Quoted Post
Can you give us a little more information

1. Does it spin after the wash cycle but not after the rinse cycle?

2. Does it drain after the wash cycle and after the rinse cycle?

3. When it is not spinning, can you hear the motor running?

4. Does the timer advance in the spin cycle when it is not spinning?

Please provide any other info you think will help and let's see what this tells us. Thanks

Yes it spins after the wash cycle but not after rinse.
Yes it drains after the wash cycle and rinse cycle.
Yes I can hear the motor running when it is not spinning.
Yes the timer advances in the spin cycle when not spinning.
sidfink43  
#4 Posted : Monday, April 27, 2009 7:22:17 AM(UTC)
sidfink43

Groups: Senior Expert

Ok, here is what I would like you to do.

With no clothes, set the washer timer on rinse with low water level and let it fill up and go through the rinse cycle. After you hear all of the water has drained out, about 90 seconds to 2 minutes, lift the lid and hold it open for about 5 seconds. Then close the lid.

If the machine goes into a spin at this time, the problem is probably in your timer. Basically, the timer has to tell the motor to pause briefly after the water has flowed out of the machine, and your timer is failing to do so. Lifting the lid artificially creates this pause and if this is the problem the machine should now go into spin mode.

Here is your timer

Replacement parts for WHIRLPOOL LA5580XTW0 | AppliancePartsPros.com

If lifting the lid and creating the pause does not work to start spin mode, please post and let's see what else we can come up with.

Good luck
rkoenigsberg  
#5 Posted : Wednesday, April 11, 2012 7:09:25 PM(UTC)
rkoenigsberg

Two issues:

(1) I am having the very problem you described in a previous post (pasted below):), the only difference is that I have a different model of Whirlpool washer (L5Q9544KQO). A search for this model in Appliance Parts Pros.com Discount Appliance Parts didn't turn up a match, so didn't have any luck finding the equivalent timer part referenced in your post. Any thoughts on how to find this elusive part for my model of machine? FIGURED OUT I MISTOOK THE S AS A 5 IN THE MODEL #. I FOUND THE PART.

(2) In addition to the timer issue, which has been going on for over a year, just last week we suddently started to notice tiny greyish flakes floating around in the tub during a wash cycle and it seems to be getting worse. It's not coming from the clothes, but rather seems to be floating into the tub through the holes when it fills with water. I'm thinking it's either mold from the basin under the tub or from inside the water lines feeding into the machine. The machine is at least 8 years old, but can't be sure. We bought it with the house. Have you encountered this problem before? We have a repair person coming this Friday, but now that I have the spin problem ID'd, it seemed worth at least exploring a DIY fix for the second problem. I DUG FURTHER ON THIS SITE AND FOUND THE VERY PROBLEM WE'RE HAVING AND A FIX.

Thanks!

QUOTE=sidfink43;82436]Ok, here is what I would like you to do.

With no clothes, set the washer timer on rinse with low water level and let it fill up and go through the rinse cycle. After you hear all of the water has drained out, about 90 seconds to 2 minutes, lift the lid and hold it open for about 5 seconds. Then close the lid.

If the machine goes into a spin at this time, the problem is probably in your timer. Basically, the timer has to tell the motor to pause briefly after the water has flowed out of the machine, and your timer is failing to do so. Lifting the lid artificially creates this pause and if this is the problem the machine should now go into spin mode.

Here is your timer

Replacement parts for WHIRLPOOL LA5580XTW0 | AppliancePartsPros.com

If lifting the lid and creating the pause does not work to start spin mode, please post and let's see what else we can come up with.

Good luck
#6 Posted : Tuesday, February 1, 2022 3:59:40 AM(UTC)

United States

Was thanked: 4 time(s) in 4 post(s)
We changed the actuator, problem not solved. The machine will fill wash spin fill drain and stop. It does seem on some of the settings the washer starts to fill and then empties itself while it's in the soap mode so it never gets to wash. If I take Knob after it stops change it to drain and spin it works per Fine to finish the cycle Won't do that on it's own
#7 Posted : Tuesday, February 1, 2022 4:00:30 AM(UTC)

United States

We changed the actuator, problem not solved. The machine will fill wash spin fill drain and stop. It does seem on some of the settings the washer starts to fill and then empties itself while it's in the soap mode so it never gets to wash. If I take Knob after it stops change it to drain and spin it works per Fine to finish the cycle Won't do that on it's own.
#8 Posted : Tuesday, February 1, 2022 4:01:18 AM(UTC)

United States

We changed the actuator, problem not solved. The machine will fill wash spin fill drain and stop. It does seem on some of the settings the washer starts to fill and then empties itself while it's in the soap mode so it never gets to wash. If I take Knob after it stops change it to drain and spin it works per Fine to finish the cycle Won't do that on it's own.
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply