Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
WillardQuinn  
#1 Posted : Thursday, April 23, 2009 12:23:06 PM(UTC)
WillardQuinn

Groups: Registered

4/23/2009 4:21 PM
I need help diagnosing an intermittent problem with my 1979 Hot Point Washer.
The washer has become very sensitive to the wash load needing to be very carefully distributed in the washer tub for balance. It did not behave like this when it was new.
During the spin cycle it goes to high speed very slowly, if at all, and only after opening the lid to carefully redistribute the clothes load. Most of the time it requires opening the lid several times to get the load very precisely balanced. Then it will eventually spin to high speed.
If the load is not precisely redistributed for exact balance, the drum wobbles excessively and it does not get up to high speed.
1) What could cause the washer to be hyper-sensitive to a slight imbalance of the load and wobble so easily?
2) What could cause the spin cycle longer to reach high speed than when new, and be so sensitive to resistance caused by the wobble?

Before I disassemble to inspect, I want to get ideas of what I should look for that could cause these two symptoms?

Money for a new washer is hard to come by these days, so I am hoping parts are still available to fix this old washer.

Thank you in advance,
Will

(PS: Sorry about the first post I entered incorrectly into the Dishwasher Repair forum)
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

Drags1998  
#2 Posted : Thursday, April 23, 2009 12:37:37 PM(UTC)
Drags1998

Groups: Senior Expert

I FULLY understand the money issue!!!!!! However, This washer is 30 years old, It needs either a belt or clutch!!! Plus other parts maybe???? Do yourself a favor, see if you can find a used washer. I think you will be better off!!!:)
WillardQuinn  
#3 Posted : Thursday, April 23, 2009 3:32:45 PM(UTC)
WillardQuinn

Groups: Registered

Originally Posted by: Drags1998 Go to Quoted Post
I FULLY understand the money issue!!!!!! However, This washer is 30 years old, It needs either a belt or clutch!!! Plus other parts maybe???? Do yourself a favor, see if you can find a used washer. I think you will be better off!!!:)

4/23/2009 7:29 PM
Hi Drags1998,
Thanks for the reply. But to me it’s just got broken in (just kidding).
But seriously, and of course, I could just throw it away and buy a new one. But I’m using the repair forum because I want to get ideas of what could cause the two symptoms I listed in my original post.
1) What could cause the washer to be hyper-sensitive to a slight imbalance of the load and wobble so easily?
2) What could cause the spin cycle to take longer to reach high speed than when new, and be so sensitive to resistance caused by the wobble?
A) I understand that a belt or clutch could cause symptom #2. Is there only one clutch part that usually wears, or does the surface the clutch lining contacts usually wear excessively also.
B) Any idea about my symptom #1, wobbling so easily.

Any other ideas that will help me diagnose it will be helpful.
Thanks again
Will
Drags1998  
#4 Posted : Thursday, April 23, 2009 4:18:53 PM(UTC)
Drags1998

Groups: Senior Expert

Its cheaper to replace the complete clutch, if the clutch is bad. My guess is that part of the suspention is BROKEN!!! Again, I warn about TRYING to repair this machine, a clutch will spoil $100, AND whatever suspention parts needed will be (a guess)$10-$25, In my area, a GOOD used washer is $125-$175 Please concider this!!!!!:)
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply