Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
mandilyn4  
#1 Posted : Monday, September 26, 2011 4:00:22 PM(UTC)
mandilyn4

Groups: Registered

My washer started making a weird noise when washing a load of clothes. When it was done, the clothes were still dripping wet. Water would drain but not agitate or spin. Opened it up and found motor coupler broken in many pieces. Replaced it. Double checked it and I believe it is back together correctly. Now it will fill but won't drain, agitate or spin. Motor makes a noise like it is running but won't do anything and after a couple of minutes I smell a burning smell and the plug and cord get warm. I took it back apart and made sure the coupler parts turn like someone suggested and they do. There is nothing I can see caught in the pump. seems worse than before.

Mom/handyman trying to keep from buying a new washer.

Help!
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

sidfink43  
#2 Posted : Wednesday, September 28, 2011 5:27:42 PM(UTC)
sidfink43

Groups: Senior Expert

It sounds like maybe you have jammed the coupling into the transmission, check it out.

When you have it apart see if the transmission can be turned by hand.
dmay21  
#3 Posted : Wednesday, September 28, 2011 7:44:05 PM(UTC)
dmay21

Ive had a few machines do the same. What usually happens is something in the transmission breaks and locks it up. That causes the coupling to break making you think you only need a coupling. when you put the new coupling it wont spin, the motor will only humm. To double check this take the pump and motor off the transmission turn the coupling one way and it will agitate then turn the coupling the other way and it will spin. If you cant turn the coupling at all then you have a bad transmission..
mandilyn4  
#4 Posted : Thursday, September 29, 2011 2:51:21 PM(UTC)
mandilyn4

Ok, first of all thanks for the ideas. I took it apart again and the coupling turns both ways easily. I took the coupler off completely and it turns both directions easily. No resistance at all that I could tell. I put it back together and it went together easily. Still the machine will fill with water but once it is full the motor just hums and won't agitate or spin. Any more ideas?
richappy  
#5 Posted : Thursday, September 29, 2011 3:08:58 PM(UTC)
richappy

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)
Pull the pump off and turn the motor shaft with an adjustable wrench clockwise till the tranny engages, then keep turning, If the spin basket moves freely, check the connector on the side of the motor, maybe you bent a pin.
mandilyn4  
#6 Posted : Thursday, September 29, 2011 4:18:09 PM(UTC)
mandilyn4

Basket moved perfectly when I turned the motor shaft. Checked the connector. There looked like there was a pin broken off on the top of the side that is on the motor but there was no corresponding metal slot for it to go into on the plastic removable part. The number of pins matched up to the number of slots, nothing looked bent
richappy  
#7 Posted : Friday, September 30, 2011 1:01:09 AM(UTC)
richappy

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)
With the info given, I can't determine what is wrong, I would continue to look around for a broken wire or something not plugged in.
mandilyn4  
#8 Posted : Friday, September 30, 2011 8:53:20 AM(UTC)
mandilyn4

Yay! I found a wire that was not plugged in. Didn't notice where it went before. Plugged it in and it works!! Thank you so much!
sidfink43  
#9 Posted : Friday, September 30, 2011 10:26:13 AM(UTC)
sidfink43

Great, glad you found it and got it fixed. And nice recommendation Rich, right on.
#10 Posted : Friday, December 29, 2023 9:26:33 AM(UTC)

United States

Was thanked: 4 time(s) in 4 post(s)
I had the same issue found this thread on google. Mine was an unhooked wire as well. For me it was the wire that plugs into the top of the motor. My guess is it got unplugged while i was removing the top motor mount as this wire and plug were directly under the mount.
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply