Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
73buick225  
#1 Posted : Saturday, September 24, 2011 3:17:05 PM(UTC)
73buick225

Groups: Registered

I have a Frigidaire fws747rfs1 washer that has stopped agitating. It will fill, go into the agitate cycle, you can hear the motor going, but nothing from the agitator. Spin works fine. The agitator itself appears fine, no broken teeth, etc. If I try to spin the agitator by hand cw, moves a few inches and then stops.I found the service manual and did a few tests. If I spin the pulley ccw, it spins the basket. If I spin the pulley cw, the pulley will spin, its not locked up or anything, but the agitator shaft doesn't move (but I don't know if it should move or not, the flowchart in the manual just asks if the pulley itself spins or not). I checked the voltage drop at the lid switch, it was around 5-8 VAC, which I believe is normal (flow chart said 120 or 0 was bad). I then tried to take off the basket, but that failed. I got the 5 bolts off, but no matter how hard both my wife and I pulled at it, banged it with a mallet, etc. it would not budge.

My thinking right now is that a gear has broken a tooth or stripped out in the transmission that engages the agitator shaft. That is just speculation with an educated guess. If that is the case, I would imagine either I have to replace the transmission or try and rebuild it. If that is the case, any suggestions on getting the basked off besides trying to removed the entire basked, tub, transmission assembly as a whole?

Thanks to all who reply.
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.