Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
bsaucer  
#1 Posted : Saturday, September 10, 2011 4:00:29 PM(UTC)
bsaucer

Groups: Registered

I was testing out a used Kenmore washer. I hooked up cold water hoses to both valve inputs (we don't have hot water at the facility). No matter where I set the temperature switch (has built-in ATC), the water pulsates into the tub (about two pulses per second) instead of using a steady stream.

Is this normal? Or would it be the ATC switch or the ATC Sensor in the water valve? I measured the voltages to the valve solenoids, and they both pulsed on and off. The pink wire leading to the ATC switch was on steady.

It wasn't doing this yesterday when it was warm outside (in the 80's), but this morning, it was pulsating badly, but improved over time. The outside temp was in the 60's this morning. I work on the washer outdoors.
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

sidfink43  
#2 Posted : Sunday, September 11, 2011 5:15:58 PM(UTC)
sidfink43

Groups: Senior Expert

Interesting question, have not had that problem. If the valves are pulsating thent he problem could be the control unit or the ATC board.

I cannot think of better advice then to change out parts and see what happens.

If you need more info, please post a model number.
bsaucer  
#3 Posted : Sunday, September 11, 2011 6:53:18 PM(UTC)
bsaucer

I'll get the model number tomorrow. However, the washer has a mechanical timer (no control board), a rotary temp switch with built-in ATC, and a mixing valve having two solenoids and a built-in sensor.

ATC has 6 wires (as per schematic):

pink from pressure switch (empty), timer, and sensor
brown from timer (switch 11)
orange-white from sensor
brown-red to hot valve
yellow-red to cold valve
white from power neutral, also goes to valves.
bsaucer  
#4 Posted : Monday, September 12, 2011 7:50:07 AM(UTC)
bsaucer

Correction: It's a Whirlpool, not Kenmore. Model GST9679PW2.
danyol  
#5 Posted : Saturday, December 28, 2013 8:12:53 AM(UTC)
danyol

I had exactly these symptoms yesterday with my Kenmore washer, hot and cold pulsing about twice a second. I replaced the ATC / temperature switch, the issue is resolved.

Went through a fault find with Fluke meter, verified the thermistor was good (between 20 - 120k Ohms) and the ATC had the correct "demand" for fill from the timer (switch 11 & 12, 120V). Depending on where the temperature was set the hot and the cold solenoids were being sent a pulsed 24 VAC signal.

I believed the Whirlpool shares the same parts as the Kenmore. It is a combined ATC board and switch 8577786
danyol attached the following image(s):
Small_E Hunts End Dr.jpg
small 2_Hunts End Dr.jpg
#6 Posted : Monday, March 25, 2024 9:31:23 AM(UTC)

United States

Was thanked: 4 time(s) in 4 post(s)
Originally Posted by: bsaucer Go to Quoted Post
…No matter where I set the temperature switch (has built-in ATC), the water pulsates into the tub (about two pulses per second) instead of using a steady stream.

Is this normal?…

I'm resurrecting this post because I had this same problem which had been plaguing me for years before I finally solved it.

I bought my Maytag washer new nearly 20-years ago. Not long after the first year, this symptom first presented itself for about 2-seconds then was silent for weeks. I didn't think much of it until some years later as the symptom appeared more frequently. After I had my house re-piped, the symptom was less frequent yet still present. As of about a year ago, it became nearly intolerable. The main timer switch was also failing intermittently; it would simply stop before the first spin cycle or it would be stuck on the wash cycle.

I started addressing this by first cleaning the inlet valves; no change. I installed water hammer arrestors on the inlet valves; no change. I replaced the inlet valves; no change. I replaced the temperature selector switch which finally resolved the problem. I made certain I got the latest revision of the switch – it didn't occur to me that the microchip in the switch would need software updates. Since I replaced the temperature switch, the main timer has been working properly also.

I got a used switch for less than $20 and it took me less than 10-min. to install it.

Please learn from my experiece.
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply