Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
JeffOYB  
#1 Posted : Tuesday, August 30, 2011 12:10:19 PM(UTC)
JeffOYB

Groups: Registered

Hi there!

This is my first post. I hope it's not redundant to other posts.

(I tried searching for info on my Model but nothing came up. I also tested searching for a different Model recently discussed -- and nothing came up as well. Is there a special way to search for specific Models? I just typed the number into the Search.)

Anyway, my good old Maytag Commercial Washer (Model A25CS) started shaking the other day and made a burning rubber smell then quit. There's still water in the tub.

I was wondering if it would be reasonable for me to open the washer and look inside on my own to see if the belt is damaged and then to replace it myself. If so, then I was wondering if there is info out there somewhere explaining how to open and service these machines.

Thanks! JP
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

sidfink43  
#2 Posted : Wednesday, August 31, 2011 5:41:49 PM(UTC)
sidfink43

Groups: Senior Expert

Either your model number is not correct or this is not a U. S. residential machine, so right now we cannot really help because we don't know what machine you have.
JeffOYB  
#3 Posted : Wednesday, August 31, 2011 5:54:18 PM(UTC)
JeffOYB

Sorry about the confusion, delay and waste of time... Ugh! Maybe I picked the wrong date-range for teh age of the washer. It's probably older than 10 years. But I entered the Model number as best as I could read it on the machine. A25CS. I also entered it into the Parts Search on this website and it seemed to come up with parts and diagrams. Although I didn't totally verify that the pics were of the same machine. It's a white commercial washer, not a big one, that I bought at a commercial laundromat auction, as I recall, and it's been running good a few years for me now.

(Also it looks like with this Forum and my old computer that I can't move my cursor and edit anything that I've typed.)

Sory abut the confusion and delay (and waste of time).o
sidfink43  
#4 Posted : Thursday, September 1, 2011 3:41:23 AM(UTC)
sidfink43

Ok, take off the front panel by taking out the two screws at the bottom and swinging the front panel off.

That will get you access to the machine and you may be able to see the problem.

Good luck, hope this helps.
JeffOYB  
#5 Posted : Tuesday, September 13, 2011 2:32:27 PM(UTC)
JeffOYB

Hi! I finally found time to dig further into my machine. I took off the front panel. I put in some coins (I don't have the key to the side panel to get at my switches -- ugh). The machine filled with water, fine. I saw the pump working, water flowing through it. I quickly noticed a hot rubber smell and looked under the machine. The belts and pulleys were all spinning OK. I unplugged the machine and felt around. The belts were slightly hot, not bad. The motor pulley was QUITE hot. I removed the belts and spun all the pulleys and they all spun fine. The motor pulley spins freely. The belts might've been a bit loose -- I can't tell. In looking at the thicker tub belt -- it looks pretty new. The thinner pump belt seems a bit frayed. I recall that the tub belt seemed warmer to my touch at first -- on the outside of the belt, it seemed. I don't recall noticing anything about the thin frayed pump belt when I first reached under and felt it. Any ideas? Thanks!
JeffOYB  
#6 Posted : Wednesday, September 14, 2011 9:10:06 AM(UTC)
JeffOYB

OK, I just fixed it. But I don't know how! : ) I tipped up the lid and looked aorund. Nuthin. Then I restarted it and it worked fine. The only things I did were to take off and reinstall the same belts (they seemed good shape). And I also rotated the big "hub" thing in the center under the tub and I rotated the big wheel pulley under the machine. I turned it both ways. One way it turned smoothly, the other way it didn't some grinding. Maybe the big hub also did that -- kind of smooth (but firm-hard to move) in one direction but maybe grindy in the other direction. The only thing I can think of is that it had skipped cycles somehow and was trying to do a final spin with a full tub of water at first. The tenant who reported it left some water in the bottom. Maybe he overloaded it and it was too heavy in the final spin and then, as he reported, it smoked and stopped (shut off). Then when I went to test it at first it might've tried to restart where it left off -- but, no, it filled the tub with water when I tested it then it started making a burning smell right away. Well, whatever it was it worked great the two times I tried it just now. I felt the pulleys carefully while they were spinning and they weren't getting hot. No smells. ? I should've remembered to notice what cycle it started on when I did my test -- no, it filled the tub -- maybe the tub was on the first fill cycle and the motor on the final spin? Oh well... We'll see how it goes... JP
sidfink43  
#7 Posted : Wednesday, September 14, 2011 9:27:34 AM(UTC)
sidfink43

A lot of times when I cannot fix something I take it apart, clean everything and put it back together and it works!

Thanks for the update, good luck with your washer.
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply