Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
stormin  
#1 Posted : Sunday, August 28, 2011 11:46:41 AM(UTC)
stormin

Groups: Registered

The washing machine has made clunking sounds off and on for a while and wouldn't drain the water in some cases (clothes still wet). Not it seems the agitator will not spin at all. I can hear the motor turning when on the spin cycle but I am not able to move the agitator by hand at any point in the cycle.

I have seen where some of these models are known for having failing transmissions. I am wondering if there is a way to definitely test for transmission failure versus a thrust bearing or some other issue.

Thanks for your help.
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

sidfink43  
#2 Posted : Monday, August 29, 2011 5:26:28 PM(UTC)
sidfink43

Groups: Senior Expert

The thrust bearing would affect the spin, not the agitation. Take off the front panel and see if you can turn the pulley on the transmission. If not, the transmission is probably locked up in some way.
stormin  
#3 Posted : Monday, September 5, 2011 6:18:18 AM(UTC)
stormin

Groups: Registered

Update at the bottom of this post.

In further troubleshooting I was able to freely pull the transmission pully from the bottom of the transmission without any tools (basically fell into my hand). I see some parts in the bottom of the casing that are loose (thrust bearing, e-clip etc.). The transmission, motor and "other" pully move freely by hand in both directions. The motor also moves in both directions under power - the motor was way too loose and able to move freely across its adjustment points by hand which is another issue.

Pulley that fell free and parts on the right I can see in the bottom housing of the pulley: UserPostedImage

• Is the transmission supposed to move freely in both directions with light finger pressure (I can't think of a reason why not)?
  • Are there any other "tests" I can perform before purchasing the pulley/bearing kit - want to make sure I still don't have a transmission issue since it is a known weak point in these washers.
  • What parts should I replace in order to get the washer up and running (pulley, bearing kit, belt)? I am not looking to get out of this on the cheap and would like to replace anything needed all at once.
Thanks

UPDATE:
Replaced broken E clip. Agitator working now, but not getting any spin out of the tub. The agitator is working in 1/4 turns both directions throughout the wash, rinse and spin cycle. So, at this point it seems that the tub spinning is the only outstanding issue.
sidfink43  
#4 Posted : Monday, September 5, 2011 9:50:47 AM(UTC)
sidfink43

Groups: Senior Expert

Sounds like the pulley mechanism had come loose. If you replace or adjust the thrust bearing you should be back in business with the spin.
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply