Appliance Repair Forum

Appliance Repair Forum (http://forum.appliancepartspros.com/)
-   Washer Repair (http://forum.appliancepartspros.com/washer-repair/)
-   -   No hot/cold water solenoid is good, where to next? (http://forum.appliancepartspros.com/washer-repair/288730-no-hot-cold-water-solenoid-good-where-next.html)

Samandothers 08-24-2011 08:15 PM

No hot/cold water solenoid is good, where to next?

First I searched for but did not have luck finding my answer.
I have a Kenmore Elite top load, I believe manufactured by Whirlpool. There is no hot water when you attempt to wash in warm or hot water. I removed case and checked the resistance of the solenoids on the Hot and Cold water value and they were both about 800 ohms. I don't want to buy a valve since I have read this measurement could be up to 1000 ohms, besides it is $100.

Where to next? What controls the solenoids and how might I check?

I have not found a service manual yet to help determine how to troubleshoot. I would appreciate some help on what to check. Thanks!

I first wrongly posted in Ovens section. Sorry about that...

denman 08-25-2011 04:14 AM

Your model number is missing several digits at the end.
Sears model numbers ate usally 3 digits, a period and then 8 digits.

Just because a water valve measures OK for resistance does not mean that it is actually opening.

Turn off the hot water tap.
Undo the hose at the machine and run some water into a pail, to be sure hot water is reaching the machine.
If OK
Look into the machines hot water valve and check that the filter screen on the input side of the valve is clean.
If not clean it. Do not permanently remove it as it is there to keep crud out of the valve which could hold the valve open and cause a flood.
If OK.
Reattach the hose, unplug the unit and switch the wires from the hot to the cold and vice versa.
Plug it in and give it a try.
If you still only have cold water, the water valve needs to be replaced.
If it fills with hot water then you know the problem is not the hot water valve, probably the temperature selector switch or timer.

Also if the screen filter is clogged I would drain some water out of your hot water tank as there may be crud in the bottom of it.

Samandothers 08-25-2011 07:00 AM

Thank you for the suggestions. I have validated Hot water to machine end of hose and the screen is clear. I have a follow up question.

If I understand correctly the next action is to remove the wire plug from the cold side of solenoid and plug it the hot side and then plug the one from the hot side to the cold and attempt to run the machine.

Your Comment:
'Plug it in and give it a try.
If you still only have cold water, the water valve needs to be replaced.
If it fills with hot water then you know the problem is not the hot water valve, probably the temperature selector switch or timer.'

Is this because the wire now going to Cold side (was from the hot solenoid originally) is sending message (voltage) for cold side to open which it does so you get cold water, yet the valve is not opening when message (voltage) is coming to the input on the Hot side (from wires originally working when connected to cold side)?

Just want to make sure I understand the trouble shooting technic. Thank you again this makes sense as a way to check it out.

denman 08-25-2011 08:29 AM

Is this because the wire now going to Cold side (was from the hot solenoid originally) is sending message (voltage) for cold side to open which it does so you get cold water, yet the valve is not opening when message (voltage) is coming to the input on the Hot side (from wires originally working when connected to cold side)?
Yes.
You know that the cold valve is getting voltage as it does work. Now you have that voltage on the hot valve so if the valve does not open you know that the valve is toast.

Be sure to use a warm or cold setting.

Samandothers 08-25-2011 08:39 PM

swapped the electrical connections

Made the suggested changes and also found model number 110.16972500.

Ok, here's the deal...originally when I would set the machine to wash in warm it would begin to dispense cold water and then when it was supposed to dispense hot to mix in, the machine would make a screeching noise but dispense nothing other than the cold.

Now after swapping the electrical connections the water temps are complete opposite. It started filling with hot and then screeched and continued filling with hot only.

So what does that mean?
signed...The most important Other-the one that uses the machine.

Thanks for continued help!

denman 08-27-2011 03:57 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Sears has a parts breakdown for this unit which may help.

See the attachment for the tech sheet for this unit.

So what does that mean?
You now know that both valves work so the problem is deeper in the machine.

At the top of my list would be the ATC (temperature control) board.
It determines which valve to open and when.

Samandothers 08-28-2011 03:56 PM

Thank you for the follow up I have ordered the temperature control switch. It should be in next week and I'll give it a shot.

Samandothers 09-26-2011 06:53 PM

Hubby replaced the temp control switch and I have been enjoying using variable temperatures again! Thanks for all the help! You are AWESOME!