Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Amy Pirrone  
#1 Posted : Wednesday, August 24, 2011 8:36:34 AM(UTC)
Amy Pirrone

Groups: Registered

I have a model FAV6800AWW that stopped running when it was halfway through the spin cycle, for which a code came up 'Lr' (locked rotor) on the board. A week before, the code was showing 'DC' (load out of balance) several times when doing small loads. I've pulled the front cover off, the main motor for the drum does turn freely, no other visible problems. Any help in solving this problem would be much appreciated!
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

sidfink43  
#2 Posted : Friday, August 26, 2011 11:56:49 AM(UTC)
sidfink43

Groups: Senior Expert

This is a very complex machine, much more complex than it has to be. Maytag will no longer let you have access to its service manuals, so I can only suggest you try replacing the main control unit, purely on speculation or try contacting Maytag and see if they will get you a service manual.
dh1200s  
#3 Posted : Friday, August 26, 2011 11:42:19 PM(UTC)
dh1200s

Groups: Registered

“”I've pulled the front cover off, the main motor for the drum does turn freely””

Amy real good 1st troubleshooting step………can you rotate the Clutch Pulley in both the CCW direction which after a few turns the Large Wrap spring in the Clutch Pulley will compress and the Wash Basket should begin to rotate CCW the Spin direction. Rotating the Clutch Pulley CW should cause the tumblers to rotate. There will be some resistance to Clutch Pulley rotation but the Clutch Pulley should rotate in both directions freely.

“”This is a very complex machine””

I feel once you have some hands on troubleshooting becomes a bit easier.

Having some known good parts helps a lot. I feel with some basic mechanical skills with some guidance will save the machine most of the time. But each owner has to decide can I do this, can I tolerate some down time and willing invest in some parts.

The unbalance errors are caused by the Clutch One-Way bearing in the Clutch pulley not locking up in Spin Cycle. Failure for most machines is brought on by a leaky Tub Seal contaminating that bearing. Read thru this post Maytag Neptune load unbalance related to the Unbalance error codes DC and UC. This thread will describe why the small loads are more likely to cause the wash tub to bang around and fail out with DC or UC unbalance error codes in Spin Cycle.

I feel these machines are at the end of service life for the Tub Seal and are in need of an Outer Tub rebuild. This post describes what is involved FAV6800A/FAV9800A Outer Tub bearing replacement and the steps to rebuild the Outer Tub.

I Google this for the Service Manual “”16022808.pdf”” I have stumbled on the SM at three different DIY forums. I Know servicematters.com use to provide it then they locked it down with a coin slot at the door. I believe something like $400 or so got you in.

The LR Locked Rotor error could be caused by the seized Upper One-Way bearing ring if used, a seized Clutch Pulley One-Way bearing and or issues with the Console Control Board, Motor Controller. I have not seen a Tranny lock up or failed Drive Motor to date as the fail point for the LR error code……..but there is always a 1st time. The 1st step for me would be to drop the Clutch Pulley out of the machine and inspect.

Trying to save the machine comes down to an owner call. Look at the links above and see if this is a path for you to follow.

A troubleshooting questions; can you open the washer lid and see if you can rotate the wash basket CCW with very little resistance or is it locked up. If the wash basket will rotate CCW spin it by hand as fast as you can and then observe if the Wash Basket will coast for several rotations to a gentle stop. I’m trying to get a feel for Upper One-Way bearing drag if used and Outer Tub bearing drag. The wash basket should not rotate CW.

If you want to try a DIY fix I will help you as an owner of the machine……….Dick
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply