Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
treeruns  
#1 Posted : Tuesday, August 23, 2011 12:34:37 PM(UTC)
treeruns

Groups: Registered

It is right about 5 years old.

About 6 months ago I smelled a little burning, and opened it up and there was a wire coming out of the wire harness plug on the motor burnt and disconnected. I took it to a local shop they put on a new wire harness and re-wired it and did a check on it to see what might be wrong. It did brake a little hard after spinning so the guy sprayed some wd-40 in there, but said that shouldn't have caused the burned wire, and said it ran just fine.

Now, the motor is just clicking, pretty fast, CLICK-CLICK-CLICK-CLICK maybe 2 a second (started with some cycles, and now does it on every stage of all cycles). Sounded like a broken cupler from posts here, but that assembly is in perfect condition. I took out the cupler, took off the pump so the motor is just hanging there not doing any work. It will spin for a few seconds, get going pretty fast and then CLICK, then start up again, doing this loud click about every 8-12 seconds. When it clicks I see a spark and I can see the fan/motor stop for a split second and then start back up. Maybe a safety feature to stop the motor, I don't know, maybe the motor needs resistance and this is normal? But of course the clicking/sparking when it should run is the real problem.

Other tests I read about on the threads here:
-I can grab the cupler with my hand and spin it with a bit of force but I can do it with my hand, and basket spins.
-Don't see anything under the tub, but I do have a spanner wrench (bought it because I had to pay $100 for a repair guy to spend 10 minutes to pull a sock out a few years ago). I can take out the tub, but haven't yet, since doesn't seem to be the issue.
-Pump turns with ease using a pair of plyers in the hole, and I did a test with the motor disconnected from the pump, it still clicked the same fast CLICK, so not the pump.
-The dogs did feel a little sloppy on the agitator, so probably replace them now, but don't think they could cause this..... Right

Sounds like the motor is out??? But do you think there is an underlying problem that is giving the motor/wire problems?
I do have kids that do their own laundry and I catch them doing both "tricks" either putting in 2 things to say they "did a load of laundry" or stuffing it full so they only have to do 1 load.

Thanks for any feedback, I really would hate to buy a new motor and then have it go out too!
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.