Discuss

Tub won't spin unless you open & close the lid

in

Washer Repair

. "

Sorry, just replace the timer. That will almost certainly fix it, but if it doesn't and you purchased from this

..."

Register | FAQ's | New Posts | Today's Posts | Extras
Appliance Repair Forum > Appliance Repair Help > Washer Repair » Tub won't spin unless you open & close the lid

Post New Thread  Reply By reading any content on this site you agree to AppliancePartsPros.com, Inc. disclaimer and Terms of Use.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 04-28-2012, 06:16 PM
Senior Expert
APP Volunteer

sidfink43 has a spectacular aura about

Appliance Parts from AppliancePartPros.com

Sorry, just replace the timer. That will almost certainly fix it, but if it doesn't and you purchased from this site you can return it, so no risk.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

Old 12-04-2012, 06:43 PM

chrisnelson1 is on a distinguished road
Default Same problem

I have the same problem but I did replace the timer and it does the exact same thing. The washer in whole operates perfectly except it won't spin unless I open lid or shut timer off and turn back on. Any other suggestions other than the timer and lid switch?
Old 12-04-2012, 06:47 PM

shmoozer is on a distinguished road

I believe it is the lack of pause in the timer. Did you replace the timer with a NEW unit?
Old 12-04-2012, 07:12 PM

yeah. I ordered from appliance pros, and it does pause before it goes into spin cycle. Its like the clutch is not releasing from some reason. but it pauses for 5 seconds or more after agitating. not sure what do do now...but i know im not buying a new one. ill just keep opening the lid.
Old 12-04-2012, 07:34 PM

you think theres any chance its the start motor capacitor???
Old 12-05-2012, 03:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisnelson1 View Post
you think theres any chance its the start motor capacitor???
No, because your motor would not turn at all if it was the start capacitor. It is the pause at that timed moment that causes it to spin after draining. My lid switch was acting up so I replaced it and I just leave the lid up until I am ready to drain and spin. I do not know what to tell you other than keep lifting the lid. I have been doing this for some time now and it is not as much of a bother as I thought it would be; it turns out my clothes get washed faster rather than me forgetting they are there and getting side tracked.
Old 12-05-2012, 05:31 AM
Expert
APP Volunteer

fairbank56 has a spectacular aura about

The pause directly after agitation has nothing to do with neutral drain. That pause is to allow the motor to stop before starting again in the opposite direction. Then it should drain without spin for a minute or two and then pause again. The second pause is to allow the neutral drain to release. Then it will start again spinning and draining. If the pause after drain does not release neutral drain then there's likely something wrong with the neutral drain mechanism in the gearcase. You can rule out the clutch by observing the clutch hub during drain and spin. You must remove the cabinet, bypass the lid switch and observe the clutch hub. During the initial drain period directly after agitate, the clutch hub does not rotate. After the motor pauses and starts again, the clutch hub should be rotating. If it is and the basket is not spinning, then the clutch is slipping.

Eric

Old 12-05-2012, 08:55 AM

Eric - thanks for that info. If the clutch hub is slipping why would an intensional pause (lifting the lid or pushing in and pulling out the start button) cause the unit to thump into the spin mode?
Old 12-05-2012, 10:06 AM
Expert
APP Volunteer

fairbank56 has a spectacular aura about

I don't have an answer for that, but observing the clutch hub would certainly tell us where to look further.

Eric
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.