Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Bessie Kelly  
#1 Posted : Monday, August 8, 2011 5:40:04 AM(UTC)
Bessie Kelly

Groups: Registered

Motor working, agitater not swishing. If I apply light pressure downward on agitator top, it swishes just fine. All else works great!

Suspect a spring, cog, tensioner, etc. needs replacement. How do/can I remove the agitator and what part(s) would be probable culprits to replace?

Many thanks!!!!!!!!
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

sidfink43  
#2 Posted : Tuesday, August 9, 2011 5:46:11 PM(UTC)
sidfink43

Groups: Senior Expert

See if this service manual doesn't help you take off the agitator and check out what may be wrong.

http://www.emaservicetips.com/pdfs/489_5.pdf
Bessie Kelly  
#3 Posted : Thursday, August 11, 2011 1:36:29 PM(UTC)
Bessie Kelly

Groups: Registered

Thanks both for the assist. I removed the agitator column (oooohhh YUK!! under there -- lotta cleaning done!) and see no breakage or wear on the white agitator....or parts at bottom of tub. The metal column coming up to support has a center post that does agitate. Assume that's part of trany. So, can that still be swishing if it needs replacement? The plate is fine and intact....agitator has some move\ing parts within to control amount of turn at top half. Guess I'm hoping it isn't the most expensive part, LOL, but sure looks to be.

So, can still move just not correctly working within the unit, right? Thanks all! Appreciate the manual, saved and will review.

Further examination of the agitator shows what appears to be the drive hub within it, at the top, as opposed to it being on the transmission shaft as manual shows. Could that be so? Or could it be just "stuck" in there? While the tran shaft is round, it has beveled areas on 2 opposing sides -- not worn, too perfect -- I do not detect anything within the hub enter that would be a turn situation for that. The tran shaft moves on wash cycle in a steady clockwise then counter clockwise motion. Does this sound more like the agitator? I see no wear on any fins at underside of agitator, or the little bumps that fit at the trunion, etc. With the agitator out, the tub does not move in wash cycle, it does spin when in that cycle.
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply