Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
getreal007  
#1 Posted : Saturday, August 6, 2011 5:01:10 AM(UTC)
getreal007

Groups: Registered

I just bought a used Maytag washer. Everything works except for the severe thumping during spin cycle. Checked leveling, removed panels - everything looks normal. With front panel off the tub spins and seems out of balance at top but the shaft assembly at bottom looks good. It will spin fine when empty but when even a pair of short are in - thumping.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

sidfink43  
#2 Posted : Sunday, August 7, 2011 5:23:53 PM(UTC)
sidfink43

Groups: Senior Expert

Sounds like something is bent or broken or out of shape in the supports, may have been like that when you bought it or it may have happened when you moved it.

Run it with the front panel off and see if you can determine the problem, not much else we can do without being there to see things.

Good luck.
getreal007  
#3 Posted : Monday, August 8, 2011 4:54:43 AM(UTC)
getreal007

Further to the description above, I had taken the front panel off and not only all appeared ok but while spinning the base and shaft look tight.
When empty it will spin fine, with just water it will spin fine. Also, while with a load the thumping is subdued if I rest my entire body on machine.

Thanks you for your help in advance
sidfink43  
#4 Posted : Monday, August 8, 2011 6:55:32 AM(UTC)
sidfink43

A lot of times with problems like yours the damge just cannot be seen.

I can only suggest replacing the springs, but only because I don't have a better idea.
kck66106  
#5 Posted : Monday, October 24, 2011 10:09:36 PM(UTC)
kck66106

I have about a 6 year old Whilrpool LSQ9110PW0 direct drive washer that I recently purchased used. I bought this kind of washer due to the fact that my mom has a 95 model that has been awesome and a breeze to work on when minor things need replaced.
Mine has a similar thumping problem in the spin cycle where it shakes the tub in this rhytmic, repetitive pattern and creates a thumping sound that goes along with the shaking. It is not severe yet the machine sits in my kitchen and is annoying. Plus I know this kind of direct drive type machine can run flawlessly due to the example of my moms for years.
I have checked the springs and pads which seem fine. I took the basket out to check the drive block which seems fine. The balance ring also has the water in it. The welds are all fine on the basket.

MY thought is that maybe the shaft that turns the basket is not completely straight, thus causing an out of balance repetitive balance issue during the spin cycle.

-Can these shafts get bowed or slightly bent if someone has overloaded the machine?

-Are the shafts for the transmissions machined to be perfectly straight or do they have some occasional issues with being slightly bent or bowed when made?

-Could the basket itself have an out of balance issue due to a manufacturing flaw?

I would lean toward it being a problem with a slightly bowed or bent shaft on the transmission, yet I don't want to spend $200 to test this theory:)

Has anyone replaced a transmission for this problem and had it be solved? My fear from some of the post that I seen and read is that this can be an occasional problem with these type of machines and that some my consider this to be just the nature of the beast. Yet I still lean toward thinking that the shafts on these style of machine are not, or have not been being made to very stringent tolearance as far as the shaft being straight. So it you happen to get a transmission with a shaft that is a bit bowed then this problem will occur.

Your thoughts?

Thanks,
sidfink43  
#6 Posted : Tuesday, October 25, 2011 3:35:38 AM(UTC)
sidfink43

I would replace the springs. Often they have damage which cannot be seen, and since it costs very little to do that it is worth a try before going on to more expensive parts.

Then operate it with the cabinet off and the lid switch bypassed to see if you can tell if anyting else is broken.
kck66106  
#7 Posted : Wednesday, October 26, 2011 2:29:03 PM(UTC)
kck66106

I will pick up some spring in the next week and try that.
I had already operated the machine with the cover off and it all seems fine. In fact, when I was down toward the motor and tranny everything sounded and looked smooth other than the repetitive balance issue.

I will respond in about a week after I try the new springs.

Thanks,:)
Joe fixit sometimes  
#8 Posted : Wednesday, October 26, 2011 7:36:09 PM(UTC)
Joe fixit sometimes

Originally Posted by: kck66106 Go to Quoted Post
I will pick up some spring in the next week and try that.
I had already operated the machine with the cover off and it all seems fine. In fact, when I was down toward the motor and tranny everything sounded and looked smooth other than the repetitive balance issue.

I will respond in about a week after I try the new springs.

Thanks,:)

I have been through this problem and springs and pads did not work. After giving up after I asked an appliace repair guy who tried to get a full rebuild on the machine I bought another machine, same mfg. I later learned that the coupler was at fault. The coupler attaches the motor to the transmission and can be found in the whirlpool washer questions on this sight. Good luck.
sidfink43  
#9 Posted : Thursday, October 27, 2011 3:39:24 AM(UTC)
sidfink43

Interesting, those are usually not the signs of a failed coupling. Thanks for the update.
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply