Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

2 Pages12>
New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
ShawnQ  
#1 Posted : Friday, August 5, 2011 10:04:03 AM(UTC)
ShawnQ

Groups: Registered

Hello all,

During a military deployment of just over 2yrs, I stored my washer and dryer. Unfortunately, it was not climate controlled.

Upon my return and after geting a new home, I installed the washer and dryer. Everything seems to work great except for the spin cycle on the washer. The door switch, agitator, and drain are all fine...it just won't spin dry.

During the spin dry, it seems to smell like a clutch or brakes, or maybe a hot electric motor, but not a rubbr smell.

Where should I look first?

Thanks in advance.
Shawn
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

Joe / APP Team  
#2 Posted : Friday, August 5, 2011 10:38:57 AM(UTC)
Joe / APP Team

Groups: Moderators

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
Originally Posted by: ShawnQ Go to Quoted Post
Hello all,

During a military deployment of just over 2yrs, I stored my washer and dryer. Unfortunately, it was not climate controlled.

Upon my return and after geting a new home, I installed the washer and dryer. Everything seems to work great except for the spin cycle on the washer. The door switch, agitator, and drain are all fine...it just won't spin dry.

During the spin dry, it seems to smell like a clutch or brakes, or maybe a hot electric motor, but not a rubbr smell.

Thanks in advance.
Shawn

Shawn,

Start be checking for something stuck between the tubs , or tub top and tub cover, Then slowly turn the inner tub a couple of revolutions.

Then check for a slipping clutch,

Part number: AP3094537
Part number: AP3094537

Here's some info from our Repair Forum Posts :

http://forum.appliancepartspros...-washer-brake-shoes.html

Good Luck,
:) :) :)
ShawnQ  
#3 Posted : Friday, August 5, 2011 1:59:21 PM(UTC)
ShawnQ

Joe,

Thanks for the response.

It does not appear to have anything between the tub and tub top, or between the tubs.

When I searched prior to posting, it sounded to me like it was likely a stuck braking system. When I try to turn the inner tub, I can't make it move at all (except for a rocking motion for the agitator function). I can't make it spin with just my hands.

The washer was stored in a storage unit that was not climate controlled which makes me think the braking system may have seized up from the high humidity.

What is the best way to go about checking the braking system?

Is there instructions anywhere on how to remove the case/body of the washer?

Thanks,
Shawn
RC Cola  
#4 Posted : Friday, August 5, 2011 7:24:09 PM(UTC)
RC Cola

Hello all,

Thanks in advance.
Shawn

Shawn,

I have a problem very similar to yours and my problem is the clutch. The repairman checked the basket drive block for damage but mine is fine. Tomorrow he will be replacing the clutch as well as the dog ears on the agitator.

My brother-in-law is also taking a class on appliance repair and his instructor told him that my problem was due to the clutch. So, I will let you know if my washer works tomorrow.
ShawnQ  
#5 Posted : Friday, August 5, 2011 8:17:53 PM(UTC)
ShawnQ

Originally Posted by: RC Cola Go to Quoted Post
Shawn,

I have a problem very similar to yours and my problem is the clutch. The repairman checked the basket drive block for damage but mine is fine. Tomorrow he will be replacing the clutch as well as the dog ears on the agitator.

My brother-in-law is also taking a class on appliance repair and his instructor told him that my problem was due to the clutch. So, I will let you know if my washer works tomorrow.

RC,

Thanks for the info.

Were you able to spin your tub by hand? Mine seems to be locked...

Thanks again,
Shawn
ShawnQ  
#6 Posted : Saturday, August 6, 2011 4:38:30 PM(UTC)
ShawnQ

Update:

I took the case off of the washer today. If I set the thecycle to spin, trip the door switch, the motor is visibly spinning and I can see what I think is the clutch drum spinning. However, I still can't get the tub to spin. When it is on, I can't make it spin by hand either...

Sound like a clutch or brake issue?

Should I expect it to be worthwhile to buy parts and repair it, or should I scrap it and get a new one?

Thanks in advance. Id like to get this finished, but not sure where to go from here.

Shawn
RC Cola  
#7 Posted : Sunday, August 7, 2011 5:06:25 PM(UTC)
RC Cola

Update:

I took the case off of the washer today. If I set the thecycle to spin, trip the door switch, the motor is visibly spinning and I can see what I think is the clutch drum spinning. However, I still can't get the tub to spin. When it is on, I can't make it spin by hand either...

Sound like a clutch or brake issue?

Should I expect it to be worthwhile to buy parts and repair it, or should I scrap it and get a new one?

Thanks in advance. Id like to get this finished, but not sure where to go from here.

Shawn

Hello Shawn,

Sometimes the tub would be locked and sometimes I could turn it by hand. My machine has been fixed and I am very happy. My machine is also a Whirlpool direct drive washing machine. The problem was the clutch.

My husband wanted to buy a new washing machine but I insisted on the repiair and not that it has been fixed I am very happy.

Check out the following web page for more info reg what to check when your washing machine does not spin:

Whirlpool washer is not spinning

Good luck, let me know what happens
ShawnQ  
#8 Posted : Monday, August 8, 2011 9:54:38 AM(UTC)
ShawnQ

I fixed mine also...

Mine ended up being a stuck brake mechanism. They were usted/seized from sitting in a humid storage facility for over 2yrs.

Thanks for the advice!
Shawn
Joe / APP Team  
#9 Posted : Monday, August 8, 2011 10:17:53 AM(UTC)
Joe / APP Team

Groups: Moderators

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
I fixed mine also...

Mine ended up being a stuck brake mechanism. They were usted/seized from sitting in a humid storage facility for over 2yrs.

Thanks for the advice!
Shawn

Shawn,

Was there a problem with the attachment from the Repair Forum Post, that I sent you ?

It's a very good and concise report and has helped an awful lot of people in the past.

I'm pretty sure( almost 100% ) your going to find a slipping clutch, once you have the assembly removed.

:) :) :)
ShawnQ  
#10 Posted : Monday, August 8, 2011 2:25:24 PM(UTC)
ShawnQ

I removed everything based on the report...clutch seemed fine. I got it all workimg once I un-stuck the brake shoes from the drum. Works great now!
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply