Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Slippery Jim  
#1 Posted : Sunday, July 31, 2011 7:46:47 PM(UTC)
Slippery Jim

Groups: Registered

M-I-L's washing machine just started making this horrendous ratcheting (almost a squeal) during , the spin cycle. Filled with water (small load) and put on wash cycle, nada in movement of any kind. Smelled burning rubber, unplugged and let cool. Moved to spin cycle, loud ratcheting noise, drum slowly built up speed and was getting rid of the water, as the amount of water decreased and speed increased, the noise would reduce until drum was empty, then noise returned with a vengeance. Check belt, seemed kind of loose but I am not sure how snug it needs to be. Popped the top and front panel. Popped the motor out, cleaned it (tons of lint), put it back in, tested, good spin, no noise what so ever. Only leave two other areas, the pump/pulley and the area beneath the drum. Need a little help in narrowing down the cause of the noise. If I know what the problem is, I can usually fix it. Time to fix not an issue. Getting the machine back into service is.
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

sidfink43  
#2 Posted : Tuesday, August 2, 2011 6:03:33 PM(UTC)
sidfink43

Groups: Senior Expert

Noises are the kind of problem we have to be there to hear, so hard to diagnose from afar.

Clean out the pump, but I suspect the transmission and/or brakes are the problem. It can also be a tub bearing.
Slippery Jim  
#3 Posted : Friday, August 5, 2011 6:54:13 AM(UTC)
Slippery Jim

The brakes appear to be working okay. Tub stops promptly when it is supposed to. Is there supposed to be a little play in the pulley wheel of the pump? I can move it vertically a little bit (1/16th of an inch or so). When spinning (during rinse cycle) the drum appeared to be out of balance. All I had in it was water. Does this help narrow it down? If I had a smaller belt, I would hook it up directly to each of the different pulleys.
sidfink43  
#4 Posted : Friday, August 5, 2011 5:14:46 PM(UTC)
sidfink43

Groups: Senior Expert

Gosh I can't really add to what I said. You just have to listen and try to place the source of the noise and that will tell you what the problem might be.
Slippery Jim  
#5 Posted : Wednesday, August 10, 2011 10:14:20 PM(UTC)
Slippery Jim

Copy, thanks:)
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply