Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
mranch  
#1 Posted : Friday, July 29, 2011 2:07:57 AM(UTC)
mranch

Groups: Registered

After ordering a new tub seal, bearing, etc. including the transmission and shaft assembly, the new assembly was not tapped for threads. Conversation with customer service revealed that manufacturer has changed the part to be non-threaded for some stupid reason. Supposed to receive self-tapping bolts to cut my own threads. Lady said she'd get those to me overnight. What I received was bolts identical to old ones, not self-tapping. Therefore, I will go to Lowe's, purchase a tap and die set for $20 and tap the holes myself, then use the bolts the way intended in the first place. This is one glaring example of why we are losing jobs to China. Really dumb decision on someone's part which causes major frustration to the customer. I will never purchase a GE appliance again.
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

applianceman  
#2 Posted : Friday, July 29, 2011 8:25:36 AM(UTC)
applianceman

I understand you are frustrated, however I have been working on these washers since the mid-90s when they came out and I don’t think the screw holes have ever been tapped. But the old screws will self-tap right into the untapped holes if you press down and turn until it starts.

GE Washer Disassembly Guide
mranch  
#3 Posted : Friday, July 29, 2011 9:05:17 AM(UTC)
mranch

The original part appears to have been tapped. Close inspection of the bolts reveals that they are not self-tapping (don't have the "notch" down the length. I bought a tap, threaded the housing. Machine back together and working fine. Still, GE is on my avoidance list, done with them. Putting the machine back together, I know why the seal leaked...nothing to hold it in place except friction of it pushed into the plastic tub. No nut, washer, etc. to hold it there as there is space between the squared portion of the shaft and the round part. When the washer, split ring assemble, there's almost 1/4" between them and the seal. So the seal can just back out over time, I suppose. Anyway, the nightmare is over and life resumes until the next time the washer conks, then it will be shot and sent to the metal recyclers and I get a Maytag or Whirlpool.
applianceman  
#4 Posted : Friday, July 29, 2011 11:00:11 AM(UTC)
applianceman

You may still not like GE and that is fine but I just want to clear things up for others that read this.

You do not have to use a tap and die set in any way to replace the transmission on this washer. I promise you the screws will self tap. I have replaced at least 100 transmissions on these washers and I don’t even own a tap and die set. You are right the holes are not tapped and the bolt doesn’t have the notch but they will tap fine.

[FONT='Times New Roman']I am sorry you are frustrated I have been frustrated many times myself when working on appliances only I have to keep my frustration under wraps because I am working at someone’s house. I am glad you got it back going and I hope it works for you a few more years. [/FONT]
mranch  
#5 Posted : Saturday, July 30, 2011 2:11:40 AM(UTC)
mranch

Well, maybe so, but it's still a horror to have to perform all the work I did for a three dollar seal failure. No more GE for me. And to think I flew an Air Force fighter equipped with two GE J-79 engines for a few years.....
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply