Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

2 Pages12>
New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
PenEd  
#1 Posted : Monday, July 18, 2011 2:08:33 PM(UTC)
PenEd

Groups: Registered

The other day, my Neptune Top Loader was running through a "normal" cycle when it suddenly stopped in the spin cycle. I tried to balance out the wet clothing inside the tub & tried to continue the cycle. It made a soft whirring noise as though it was going to start it's cycle, but simply putzed out after about 5min. I then tried to run the load on several cycles & every time without exception it stopped when it hit "spin". The load ends up w/ about 1/2 gallon of soapy/dirty water in the bottom of the tub & a wad of clothing in a ball. When I try to move the tub manually, it is simply too tight. Cannot move the tub at all.

Thank you for any thoughts on what this may be ...

best,
Sad Neptune Attendee
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

dh1200s  
#2 Posted : Monday, July 18, 2011 5:44:33 PM(UTC)
dh1200s

Any unbalance error codes such as DC or UC with fail to Spin?

Does the wash tub bang around as it enters a spin cycle?

The wash basket should rotate CCW looking down into the wash basket. Can you raise the lid and spin the wash basket CCW the Spin direction? The wash basket should not rotate CW.

You may have to drop out the Clutch pulley and see if there are issues it. This is where I would start you off. This post Maytag Neptune load unbalance will get you started.

Before you tear down let us know if you can rotate the wash basket in the CCW direction.

Google this document number for the FAV6800A/FAV9800A service manual and you will find……. 16022808 Revision 0 December 2003

You need the Service Manual that along with some basic guidance to DIY the repair on the machine. Shout back if you want to dive in and save the machine..............Good Luck Dick
Rifleman  
#3 Posted : Tuesday, July 19, 2011 5:18:55 PM(UTC)
Rifleman

I've got the same problem and hopefully this will help.

the problem is the single direction clutch. There is a clutch on the bottom of your tub with a belt that goes to the motor. when the motor rotates one way, it runs the circular agitators, when the motor spins the other direction it spins the barrel to remove the water from the clothes...

the problem is that the clutch is gummed up and when the washing machine goes into spin... the agitators are turning either slowly or just a little bit... this unballances the load of clothes and causes the machine to go into a "level the load" cycle, this simply means that the spin cycle stops and it runs the "agitators" for a few spins to stir up the clothes then it trys again...

it will never level the load because when the spin cycle starts the agitators are moving and unballance the load.

so, you need to pull the tub, remove the clutch and clean and re-oil it, there is also a long spring in there too.

HOWEVER...

I found out the reason the clutch was gummed up was because the barrel seal was leaking...

I got it back together and had water on the floor after two loads... so now I'm replacing the seal

I would recomend doing both if you have the barrel out, go ahead and replace the seal as well as cleaning the one way clutch...

i'm going to check my bearings too, just to make sure, now that I have it apart for the second time...

let me know, pretty mechanical and I'm into this pretty good, I can help

R-man
dh1200s  
#4 Posted : Wednesday, July 20, 2011 7:17:00 AM(UTC)
dh1200s

Rifleman,

Yep my post was to get him started in removing the Clutch Pulley. At the six year + point of ownership I agree with the long term fix and that is why I had a froum member start this thread. I know the issue and fix well and have helped many owners save the machine if they wanted to DIY as in this thread FAV6800A/FAV9800A Outer Tub bearing replacement

Dick
PenEd  
#5 Posted : Wednesday, July 20, 2011 8:01:16 AM(UTC)
PenEd

Hi Dick,

Thank you for the response!

I do get a dc response on the screen of the machine when it hits the spin cycle.

It does not make a loud clunking when it runs .. in fact, I feel like it sounds like it will run the duration of a cycle without incident. I think it may be starting a cycle, not filling entirely & then when it hits the spin cycle ... stops ...

The tub itself will not budge ... either CCW or CW. But the agitator the tub sits in will move either CCW & CW.

I'll take a look at the manual & get to crackin' on fixin' this puppy!

Thank you so much!

(I'm also reading the feeds w/ this similar situation.)
dh1200s  
#6 Posted : Wednesday, July 20, 2011 8:42:15 AM(UTC)
dh1200s

PenEd,

The Wash Basket should rotate CCW the Spin direction only and the CCW rotational resiatance should be very light my pinky finger test for Outer Tub Bearing drag.

So with the Washer Lid open you can't rotate the Wash Basket CCW? If not that tells me you need to drop out the Clutch Pulley as described in this post FAV6800A/FAV9800A Outer Tub bearing replacement I believe your machine will use the Upper One-Way Bearing with the Clutch Pulley assembly and the One-Way bearings in that upper bearing ring are seized.

The DC and or UC unbalance error codes are from the Clutch Pulley One-Way bearing in the Clutch Pulley not locking up Rock solid in the CCW/Spin direction. The slippage allows tumbler movement at the start of Spin Cycle to continue and the results are BIG TIME DC and UC unbalance error codes.

I describe the failure and how to check for proper Clutch Pulley and Upper Bearing lock up in this post Maytag Neptune load unbalance

The Upper One-Way bearing (if used on your machine series) is pressed in to lock up in the Opposite direction as the Clutch Pulley One-Way bearing. This is to support Spiner Support rotation in the Spin cycle..........That is how I remember it from a couple of years ago. If you can't rotate the Wash basket CCW direction I feel that Upper Bearing ring is used in your machine and is seized.

Some pics of a failed Clutch Pulley and the One-Way bearing in the Clutch Pulley Hub I don't have a pic of the Upper Bearing ring used on this series machine but trust me it would be nasty.

Some other pics of before and after Clutch Pulley/Upper bearing ring clean up. Keep in mind if you may have to replace the Clutch Pulley Assembly and consider doing a Tub Seal replacement and Outer Tub bearing rebuild.

Good Luck...........Dick
dh1200s attached the following image(s):
Large Wrap Spring 1.jpg
DSC0Series 10 Clutch lots of powder in the hub large wrap spring removed..JPG
Series 10 Upper One-Way Roller Clutch ring before clean up..JPG
Series 10 Clutch lots of powder all cleaned up..JPG
Series 10 Clutch hub mounted One-Way Roller Clutch bearing plate all cleaned up..JPG
PenEd  
#7 Posted : Wednesday, July 20, 2011 8:37:42 PM(UTC)
PenEd

Hello R-man! This is a wonderfully detailed response :) Thank you so much ... I know that we'll be working on the long term fix, so I appreciate all your thoughts & insights. We'll most likely contact you as my fiance begins to open up our machine.

Best,
Neptune Blues
thorning  
#8 Posted : Sunday, August 26, 2012 1:08:44 AM(UTC)
thorning

I have had the pleasure of the problem of the tub locking up solid also. The TL unit involved belongs to a friend and is a s/n 11978899ER . I have taken the clutch off the shaft and the tub still will not turn. The inside of the clutch is somewhat dirty but not gummed up bad and the spring is not broken. I am hesitant to take it apart any further as all the info I can find is that the repair cost for the parts alone is almost $400 or more since the bearing under the tub is seized . One repair shop tells me it will require a new tub as the bearing cannot be removed from the tub and a new one installed. Also can the bearing even be purchased by itself ?
I also have access to another TL machine s/n 1624068GG which appears to have the same problem but is in very nice condition otherwise. A friend of ours has a TL machine about the same age of 6 years old and it has no problem of any kind.
Is it realistic to try and repair these machines at this high cost ? I repair all kinds of mechanical and electrical items on dryers and this TL model is a real challenge both to repair and the cost of doing it.
Can anyone give me some advice before I spend a ton of money on this problem when a new washer w/o a lot of bells and whistles can be bought for about $650 ? Please help. Puzzled here in central Illinois
dh1200s  
#9 Posted : Sunday, August 26, 2012 12:38:43 PM(UTC)
dh1200s

thorning,

Take a look at this repair post and see if working on the machine is for you.

The repair person you are talking to doesn't have a clue.

""One repair shop tells me it will require a new tub as the bearing cannot be removed from the tub and a new one installed.""

Read thru the link/post above and see what you think. There are two different variants of thr Outer Tub for the FAV6800A and FAV9800A both can be repaired at resonable cost if you diy the fix.

I will be away from the PC for several hours but will try to help if you decide to repair..........Dick
thorning  
#10 Posted : Sunday, August 26, 2012 2:07:44 PM(UTC)
thorning

Thanks. I will review it and see if it is something I want to tackle.
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply