Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Steve55  
#1 Posted : Saturday, July 9, 2011 4:37:56 AM(UTC)
Steve55

Groups: Registered

How To Remove The Transmission On Model Whdre526e
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

Joe / APP Team  
#2 Posted : Monday, July 11, 2011 7:24:40 AM(UTC)
Joe / APP Team

Groups: Moderators

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Steve55 Go to Quoted Post
How To Remove The Transmission On Model Whdre526e

Steve,

Here's some information and basic instructions, that should get you up and going :

Should you have to remove the spin basket/tub to complete the repair you will need a spanner wrench.

Part number: AP4503397

1. Remove the front by pushing a butter knife (or anything flat, I usually use my truck keys) between the top and the front in line with the grove in the lid .
2. Remove the ¼ inch screws that hold the top on.
3. Remove the top. Note that you have to remove the lid switch if your washer has a magnetic lid switch and if it has a mechanical lid switch you must unplug it.
Agitator Removal

In this section of this GE washer disassembly guide I will walk you through the steps in disassembling the the agitator-coupling.
1. The agitator just lifts straight up and out. Note that it may be hard but if you can get your fingers under it and rock it back and forth it will slip up. Also note that if you are unable to get your fingers under it you can slip a belt under it and pull from the belt.
2. Under the agitator you should see the agitator-coupling, remove it using a 7/16 socket.
Spin Basket Removal/Tub seal Replacement
In this section of this GE washer disassembly guide I will walk you through the steps in disassembling the tub seal.
1. Follow steps in top and front removal and agitator removal.
2. Next remove the four 5/16" screws that hold the damping straps on.
3. Unhook the drain hose on the bottom of the tub.
4. Unhook the small water level tube on the left hand side.
5. Unplug the motor and remove the ground screw.
6. Lift up on the tub and unhook all four of the suspension rods.
7. Lift up on the whole unit and bring it out of the case bottom first .
8. Remove the cover off of the tub . Note be careful not to over bend the tabs or it may not snap back in place.
9. Remove the left-handed 1-11/16 hub nut. Note that the tool mentioned is a spanner wrench designed for removing this nut. Also note that you may be able to remove this nut using a wrench but typically they are too long so if you have to buy a tool to remove this nut, buy the one I describe above.
10. Lift the spin basket up and out of the tub.
11. Remove the split ring. Note this split ring will break easily, so be careful.
12. Remove the hub washer.
Note that at this point in GE washer disassembly you can replace the tub seal. Just use a screwdriver to pry the old one out. Then tap the new one in with a blunt object such as a nut driver with out a socket making sure it is seated good.
1. Follow steps in Top and front removal, agitator removal and spin basket removal.
2. Turn the tub assembly over on the floor.
3. Remove the ¾" nuts holding the transmission pulley on. Note that you have to somehow stop the pulley from turning in order to remove the nut. They make a special tool for this but I do it without the tool. Also you can hold the belt by hand.
4. Remove the four 3/8" screws that hold the transmission to the platform
5. Remove the ½ inch screws that hold the platform to the tub.
6. Lift the platform up and off of the transmission.
7. Lift the transmission up and out of the tub.
8. Using a long screwdriver knock the old tub seal out from the bottom of the tub.
Motor and clutch removal
1. Remove the front as shown in the first step in front and top removal.
2. Remove the 3/8-inch nuts under the motor.
3. Turn the transmission to allow you to lean the motor back and slide it out.
4. To remove the clutch (not on newer models) turn the motor over and remove the clip that holds the clutch on.
5. Lift the clutch up and off the motor shaft.

Good Luck,

:) :) :)
Steve55  
#3 Posted : Monday, July 11, 2011 9:12:31 AM(UTC)
Steve55

The lid switch on this model is hard wired. not what do I do, Joe

Originally Posted by: Joe / APP Team Go to Quoted Post
Steve,

Here's some information and basic instructions, that should get you up and going :

Should you have to remove the spin basket/tub to complete the repair you will need a spanner wrench.

1. Remove the front by pushing a butter knife (or anything flat, I usually use my truck keys) between the top and the front in line with the grove in the lid .
2. Remove the ¼ inch screws that hold the top on.
3. Remove the top. Note that you have to remove the lid switch if your washer has a magnetic lid switch and if it has a mechanical lid switch you must unplug it.
Agitator Removal

In this section of this GE washer disassembly guide I will walk you through the steps in disassembling the the agitator-coupling.
1. The agitator just lifts straight up and out. Note that it may be hard but if you can get your fingers under it and rock it back and forth it will slip up. Also note that if you are unable to get your fingers under it you can slip a belt under it and pull from the belt.
2. Under the agitator you should see the agitator-coupling, remove it using a 7/16 socket.
Spin Basket Removal/Tub seal Replacement
In this section of this GE washer disassembly guide I will walk you through the steps in disassembling the tub seal.
1. Follow steps in top and front removal and agitator removal.
2. Next remove the four 5/16" screws that hold the damping straps on.
3. Unhook the drain hose on the bottom of the tub.
4. Unhook the small water level tube on the left hand side.
5. Unplug the motor and remove the ground screw.
6. Lift up on the tub and unhook all four of the suspension rods.
7. Lift up on the whole unit and bring it out of the case bottom first .
8. Remove the cover off of the tub . Note be careful not to over bend the tabs or it may not snap back in place.
9. Remove the left-handed 1-11/16 hub nut. Note that the tool mentioned is a spanner wrench designed for removing this nut. Also note that you may be able to remove this nut using a wrench but typically they are too long so if you have to buy a tool to remove this nut, buy the one I describe above.
10. Lift the spin basket up and out of the tub.
11. Remove the split ring. Note this split ring will break easily, so be careful.
12. Remove the hub washer.
Note that at this point in GE washer disassembly you can replace the tub seal. Just use a screwdriver to pry the old one out. Then tap the new one in with a blunt object such as a nut driver with out a socket making sure it is seated good.
1. Follow steps in Top and front removal, agitator removal and spin basket removal.
2. Turn the tub assembly over on the floor.
3. Remove the ¾" nuts holding the transmission pulley on. Note that you have to somehow stop the pulley from turning in order to remove the nut. They make a special tool for this but I do it without the tool. Also you can hold the belt by hand.
4. Remove the four 3/8" screws that hold the transmission to the platform
5. Remove the ½ inch screws that hold the platform to the tub.
6. Lift the platform up and off of the transmission.
7. Lift the transmission up and out of the tub.
8. Using a long screwdriver knock the old tub seal out from the bottom of the tub.
Motor and clutch removal
1. Remove the front as shown in the first step in front and top removal.
2. Remove the 3/8-inch nuts under the motor.
3. Turn the transmission to allow you to lean the motor back and slide it out.
4. To remove the clutch (not on newer models) turn the motor over and remove the clip that holds the clutch on.
5. Lift the clutch up and off the motor shaft.

Good Luck,

Joe / APP Team  
#4 Posted : Monday, July 11, 2011 11:07:04 AM(UTC)
Joe / APP Team

The lid switch on this model is hard wired. not what do I do, Joe

Steve,
It may appear that way,

Here's more from the service manual.

"release lid switch wire connector the connector is located in the right rear corner of the cover you may need to press down on the wiring to allow clearance to remove connections."

Steve55  
#5 Posted : Monday, July 11, 2011 11:24:43 AM(UTC)
Steve55

That switch is hard wired. what I had to do is from under the top push the switch towards the front as far as could. on the back of the switch there is piece of plastic that folds. when you get past that point the switch will pop up and then you have to lift the switch up and turn it and push back down through the switch hole those wires coming off the switch go into a gang of wires
Joe / APP Team  
#6 Posted : Monday, July 11, 2011 2:33:49 PM(UTC)
Joe / APP Team

That switch is hard wired. what I had to do is from under the top push the switch towards the front as far as could. on the back of the switch there is piece of plastic that folds. when you get past that point the switch will pop up and then you have to lift the switch up and turn it and push back down through the switch hole those wires coming off the switch go into a gang of wires

Steve,

You're correct, you have the magnetic lid switch, I should have double checked and varified it. My fault.

Sorry.

:( :( :(
Steve55  
#7 Posted : Tuesday, August 9, 2011 10:56:56 AM(UTC)
Steve55

I wanted to thank your Co. The washing machine runs better now then it did when it was delivered to my house. Your price was the same as tribbles if they were to sell it to me at contractors price as well. Every appliance co. around the northern VA area would not take on this job. They said it would be cheaper to by a new machine. Being the first time that I put a new transmission in washing machine it took sometime and was not easy but I did it, The second time would be a breeze. You literally have to take the entire machine a part and put it back together again without screwing up. Thanks for your answering my questions when I needed your help.
Steve.
Joe / APP Team  
#8 Posted : Tuesday, August 9, 2011 2:24:56 PM(UTC)
Joe / APP Team

I wanted to thank your Co. The washing machine runs better now then it did when it was delivered to my house. Your price was the same as tribbles if they were to sell it to me at contractors price as well. Every appliance co. around the northern VA area would not take on this job. They said it would be cheaper to by a new machine. Being the first time that I put a new transmission in washing machine it took sometime and was not easy but I did it, The second time would be a breeze. You literally have to take the entire machine a part and put it back together again without screwing up. Thanks for your answering my questions when I needed your help.
Steve.

Steve,

Great job,

We hope you feel good about it and accomplished. It's a very big job, and you did it all on your own.

It was our pleasure to assist you, you deserve all the accolades.

Thanks,

:D :D :D
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply