Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
mikemartin88  
#1 Posted : Wednesday, July 6, 2011 9:18:05 AM(UTC)
mikemartin88

Groups: Registered

I have a Maytag Neptune MAH9700AWW SN 1257359GL front load washing machine. I've experienced a number of problems recently, here's a brief summary:
- Washer wouldn't spin fast at end of wash cycle leaving clothes wringing wet
- After another couple of weeks, the situation changed. Now the washer would start filling, then get an error code and stop everything
- Troubleshot per service manual, replaced water shutoff valve, water level sensor, control panel. Nothing changed the situation at all. Disconnected and reconnected wire harnesses going to motor and washer started working normally again, except for spin speed issue remains.
- Called out repairman, he said it was the "speed sensor" which, of course, is part of the motor board. So I replaced the motor board and it still does exactly the same thing.
- Many hundreds of dollars later, right back where I started. All wash cycles go fine until the final spin, where the speed never gets fast enough to get most of the water out of the clothes. Timer counts down fine, clothes come out clean, but soaking wet, and I have to wring them out by hand before I put them in the dryer.

Help, please! Thanks.
MIike
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

sidfink43  
#2 Posted : Thursday, July 7, 2011 4:33:03 PM(UTC)
sidfink43

Groups: Senior Expert

I wish I had a quick and easy answer to this, but I don't. These machines with this type of electronics are just awful to diagnose.

Here is what the service manual says to do in your case. I can only suggest you try the tests listed below.

Wet Clothes

Very small clothes loads can cause
unbalanced loads. Add additional towels.

Excessive suds may have been present, due
to not using High-Efficiency detergent.
Reduce amount of detergent usage.

See Will Not Spin.

Low Spin Speed or Drain Only was selected.

and here is what the "will not spin" section says"

Will Not Spin

Check to make sure the door is fully closed.

Check for water left inside the washer. If
present, see
Will Not Drain.

Perform Board Output Test or Quick Spin
Test
. (Before test, make sure that the tumbler
is empty.) If it doesn’t tumble after the test
above, check unbalanced load scenario, Main
Control Board, and motor.

Check for loose connections at Machine
Control Board, Pressure Switch, Motor, Tach
Harness and Motor Control. (CN8, CN9, CN3)
Refer to the component testing procedure.

Check motor winding resistance
CN9 pins 1 & 3=11.6ohms ±7%,
Pins 1 & 2=11.6ohms ±7%,

Pins 2 & 3=11.6ohms. ±7%.
mikemartin88  
#3 Posted : Wednesday, July 13, 2011 3:32:26 AM(UTC)
mikemartin88

Update to my original post - my washer is FINALLY fixed!! The problem with filling up and generating an error code at the start of the wash cycle was fixed by repairing a loose connector on the motor harness, and the "won't spin above 180 RPM" problem was fixed with yet another control board change. Than goodness for ************************.com and their 100% refund policy or I'd be out over $1000 on this problem. Anyway, the washer works like brand new again. Thanks for the help!
Mike
mikemartin88  
#4 Posted : Wednesday, July 13, 2011 6:03:54 AM(UTC)
mikemartin88

Thanks for the help, tried all that out of the service manual already. Nothing checked bad. See my update - it was actually a bad control board not letting the motor get above 180rpm during spin. Replaced control board, spins at 1200rpm+ now.
sidfink43  
#5 Posted : Wednesday, July 13, 2011 10:16:04 AM(UTC)
sidfink43

Groups: Senior Expert

It usually is the control board on these models, glad you got it fixed and good luck going forward.
thorning  
#6 Posted : Saturday, July 13, 2013 1:42:23 PM(UTC)
thorning

I have a Maytag Neptune model 9700 also with a similar problem and was curious if this machine is still working ? Can you tell me where the problem was on the motor wire connection ? At the connectors at the motor end or the iwre harness itself or what ? My washer will not spin ---It tries but only turns a few inches and then quits even when empty.
Thanks
thorning  
#7 Posted : Saturday, July 13, 2013 2:06:39 PM(UTC)
thorning

I have a Maytag Neptune model 9700 also with a similar problem and was curious if this machine is still working ? Can you tell me where the problem was on the motor wire connection ? At the connectors at the motor end or the iwre harness itself or what ? My washer will not spin ---It tries but only turns a few inches and then quits even when empty.
Thanks
#8 Posted : Thursday, July 29, 2021 5:24:25 AM(UTC)

Groups: Guests
United States

Was thanked: 4 time(s) in 4 post(s)
I too would like to know where that loose wire was. Motor side or board side. I been chasing this problem for a while. And already replaced a few parts.

#9 Posted : Thursday, July 29, 2021 5:25:33 AM(UTC)

Groups: Guests
United States

Was thanked: 4 time(s) in 4 post(s)
I too would like to know where that loose wire was. Motor side or board side. I been chasing this problem for a while. And already replaced a few parts.

Quick Reply Show Quick Reply