Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
yahuwoody  
#1 Posted : Saturday, July 2, 2011 3:08:12 PM(UTC)
yahuwoody

Groups: Registered

So the tub fills up and the timer doesn't advance. My first thought is bad timer. . . wrong. Replacement timer . . . same symptoms. Checked continuity in lid switch . . . works fine with open/close of lid. When lid is closed, I get a relay type humm (?) for 30 seconds to a minute then it clicks off. The humm sounds near the control panel and not down by the motor. So here I am on the 4th of July weekend with a washer 3/4 full of water and timer that doesn't tick-tick-tick or advance thru any cycle. Suggestions will be appreciated.
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

sidfink43  
#2 Posted : Monday, July 4, 2011 11:49:01 AM(UTC)
sidfink43

Groups: Senior Expert

Interesting problem and not one that lends itself to a quick diagnosis. The timer seems like the problem, but if you replaced it then that would tend to rule it out.

I am wondering if something isn't jammed in the pump, so check that out. If not, the capacitor (rare) the motor and the wiring are the next suspects, but diagnosing them is going to take some time, so take your time and see what you learn.
Ardvaark  
#3 Posted : Monday, July 4, 2011 2:00:51 PM(UTC)
Ardvaark

Sounds like a bad motor cap or bad motor.

Ardvaark
yahuwoody  
#4 Posted : Monday, July 4, 2011 9:09:44 PM(UTC)
yahuwoody

Originally Posted by: sidfink43 Go to Quoted Post
Interesting problem and not one that lends itself to a quick diagnosis. The timer seems like the problem, but if you replaced it then that would tend to rule it out.

I am wondering if something isn't jammed in the pump, so check that out. If not, the capacitor (rare) the motor and the wiring are the next suspects, but diagnosing them is going to take some time, so take your time and see what you learn.

Appreciate the response on a holiday weekend. Before I dig in to the cabinet and motor, I wanted to mention that when this problem first occurred, I listened for the timer motor which ticked slower and slower until it stopped after about 20 seconds. I've been unable to get this to happen again (with either the old or replacement timer) but it makes me wonder if its a "power to the cycle/timer issue" and can that be caused by a dead motor ? ? One last observation - the tub fills all the way up then nothing ; since there's no clothes in the tub why wouldn't it sense and only fill a small amount ? ? Suspect electronic or control or logic error . . . ? All help is welcome . .
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply