Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
tealbingy  
#1 Posted : Thursday, June 30, 2011 10:03:58 AM(UTC)
tealbingy

Groups: Registered

Our venerable 1989 era GE top-loading washer (WWA8310GALAD)has developed a leak. This happens during pump-out/spin. Water leaks out over the top of the outer tub gasket when the water level is set on "high".

We replaced the gasket, as the old one was rather flattened. On the first trial, we just got a few drips. On the second load, much more water went over (definitely not under) the gasket in several places. One place was where the thin metal rod for the lid switch goes over the gasket - a little plumbers putty was tried (as there was some placed there originally), but didn't make much difference.

We think that the washer has always pumped and spun at the same time - but won't swear to it. So:

1. Should a GE washer of this vintage pump and spin at the same time?
2. If yes, then do you have any idea as to what we do next?
3. If no, what do we check/replace?

Many thanks for any help you can give!
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

applianceman  
#2 Posted : Thursday, June 30, 2011 10:14:54 AM(UTC)
applianceman

Yes, it is normal for the washer to spin and pump at the same time.

Make sure the top is all the way down and snapped into place. If it is not all the way down it will not seal. Also make sure it is down in the back as well I have seen where something was binding to top up at the back and it would leak every time.

I have seen a lot of these tubs rust out near the top and cause a leak so check that good.

However if you know for sure it is coming from above the gasket try putting a bead on silicone all the way around the gasket and snapping the top back in place. The idea is the silicone will seal where the gasket isn’t. I have used this trick a few times the only bad part is the next time you take the top up you have to re-silicone but hopefully you won’t have to for a while.

I hope this helps!!

Clothes Washer Repair Guide
tealbingy  
#3 Posted : Sunday, July 3, 2011 11:32:38 AM(UTC)
tealbingy

We checked the belt for possible oil/slippage - it is in good condition and not oily. We then moved the inner drum aside and checked the outlet at the bottom - no blockages.

Lastly, we put plumber's putty on top of the new gasket - and that solved the problem. Not a drip in sight.

Thanks for the help!
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply