Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
jmann825  
#1 Posted : Wednesday, June 22, 2011 10:28:09 AM(UTC)
jmann825

Groups: Registered

We have a Maytag Performa which has got us truly confused. It started having trouble several months ago by not retaining water while it tried to fill the tub. Water came into the tub through the flume but would go straight out the drain hose. We solved this problem by lifting the hose and that seemed to do the trick.

The next symptom it had after several loads was inability to spin the water out after washing. We solved this by lowering the drain hose to a medium height. That worked for several more loads. Next it started pushing water straight out the drain hose again so we solved this by babysitting the washer and raising and lowering the hose depending where it was in the cycle. This worked for about a week or so.

Suddenly we smelt a burning smell during a large load of laundry and assumed we had put too many towels in the washer. We began only washing mini loads to further examine the washer. At times it was slow to begin agitating, but spun with a furry. On other loads it was fine agitating but slow to spin. We took off the belt and examined it, it wasn’t badly burnt, and there was a slight bit of wear along with a couple cracks in one area. So we installed a new belt. Here’s what happened on the first run of a mini load.

After it had filled to the appropriate level (drain hose raised) it began the agitate cycle. Right away there was a rubber burning smell and the agitator was moving sluggishly. We took off the new belt but didn’t seem to have any damage. We reinstalled and made sure it wasn’t too tight or too slack. We checked each pulley all three rotated with ease clockwise and counter clockwise.

So took of the cabinet to inspect the machine further. For good measure we removed the drainage hoses both were clear with no holes. Next I took off the pump and cleaned it out, there was no blockage. We ran the machine again empty on a spin cycle and it did eventually get spinning pretty quickly with no rubber burning smell. The machine sounds normal, no klunking, screeching, or whirly sounds. Timer and knob advances with no issues and moves to each cycle with appropriate responses. Which leaves us very perplexed. :confused:

The symptoms again: water drains automatically, rubber burning smell during agitation cycles, agitator sluggish at times, slow to start spinning at times. Are there any parts that go bad that cause all these problems? Any help is much appreciated. I searched through several threads but I haven’t found a solid solution, I apologize if this is a repeated issue.
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.