Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
abbaka  
#1 Posted : Monday, June 6, 2011 8:01:30 AM(UTC)
abbaka

Groups: Registered

My 18 month old Frigidaire model ATF6000FS stopped spinning a week or so ago. It fills, the timer continues to go down, it drains, etc., but won't spin/agitate. There's just a faint buzzing sound when it would normally be spinning.

So I had a repair guy out, he ran the diagnostics, and it told him it was the front control board, to replace that, and if that didn't fix it, it would be the motor control board.

So I purchased a front control board on here, installed it yesterday, exact same problem. Before I go ahead and order a motor control board, I wanted to be sure it wasn't something else.

It is now giving me error code E5E.

Anybody experience this with your washer? What was the ultimate remedy?

Thanks a lot.
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

sidfink43  
#2 Posted : Wednesday, June 8, 2011 6:24:20 AM(UTC)
sidfink43

Groups: Senior Expert

The error message is telling us that the main control is not communicating with the speed control unit that controls the motor, so it does not think the motor is operating. The service tech should have know to check and test the speed control board.

I would first check the wiring between the control unit and the speed control board. If that is ok, try replacing the speed control board. It is a weak link in these units and frequently goes bad. The tech should have known that.

If you buy from this site and the part does not fix the problem you can return it, see the returns policy for details and conditions.
abbaka  
#3 Posted : Wednesday, June 8, 2011 7:58:48 AM(UTC)
abbaka

Thank you. This is what I (and the tech) was calling the front control board - Part Details - FRIGIDAIRE CONTROL-ELECTRICAL, part number: AP4358489

I went ahead and ordered this - Part Details - FRIGIDAIRE CONTROL BOARD, part number: AP3891780 - which is what he was calling the motor control board, yesterday. Is that the "speed control boad" you mention?

He did say he checked the wiring to make sure connections were good and there were no kinks or anything...but honestly he took about 5 minutes to do it, so I'm not sure he checked things over too much. I'll go over it all again.

How does one access the "motor control board"? Does the back panel have to be removed?

Thanks again.
sidfink43  
#4 Posted : Wednesday, June 8, 2011 10:17:43 AM(UTC)
sidfink43

Groups: Senior Expert

In Frigidaire world the speed control board and motor control board are the same things, so you should have the right part.

Here is a link to the service manual for your model which will show you how to do testing and diagnosis and how to put in the new board.

http://www.emaservicetips.com/p...6851_Affinity_washer.pdf

Let us know how things works out.
abbaka  
#5 Posted : Wednesday, June 8, 2011 10:50:45 AM(UTC)
abbaka

Thanks for the manual, it will come in handy.

Something I forgot to mention (but did mention it to the tech)...starting a couple months ago, probably 50% of the time while a load was running, the GFI would flip. Most of those times resetting it a time or two would allow the load to finish. I kept putting off doing anything about it because if would always eventually work again. :o

With what little I know about electricity, it seemed like the behavior of a short somewhere, like every once in a while a wire was touching something it shouldn't be...so I'm not sure if that might help tell you whether or not it probably is the speed control board or just a faulty wire somewhere?

At any rate, the ridiculously fast standard shipping here shows my speed control board as being out for delivery today already, so I figure I might as well give it a shot.
abbaka  
#6 Posted : Thursday, June 9, 2011 10:57:50 AM(UTC)
abbaka

Well, the new speed control board seems to have done the job. Swapped the original front control board back in and it still worked, so at least I can return that...should end up saving a bit over $100 from what the service guy would've charged for parts+labor.

Thanks a lot for the service manual - it made removal and installation MUCH easier!

What are the chances that there was another faulty part somewhere that wore the old speed control board out over time (and will eventually do the same to this new one)?
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply