Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
dstraple  
#1 Posted : Friday, February 13, 2009 7:56:32 AM(UTC)
dstraple

Groups: Registered

My Kenmore Top Loader stopped running mid load. You could hear the motor hum but the tub would not spin or drain. Also, there was the smell of something electrical burning. I removed the old motor and noticed the shaft was loose and moved about a 1/2" from front to back. I also spun the shaft coupling by hand and was able to move the tub with no binding. I ordered a new motor from this website and replaced it last night. I received the same symptoms. I removed the motor from the machine and connected it without anything attached to the shafts. The motor hums but will not spin. While power is applied I can make the shaft spin by giving it a quick turn with my fingers. It will then run until I release the cover switch. After it stops I cannot get it to start again unless I give it a turn by hand first. Also, after I give the motor a "push" it clicks loudly then spins up. When I cut the power it begins to spin down and then clicks again. Is this motor bad or am I missing something?

Thanks for your help in advance.

Dennis Straple
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

richappy  
#2 Posted : Saturday, February 14, 2009 3:03:49 AM(UTC)
richappy

Groups: Senior Expert

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)
I would check for a bad pin on the motor connector, a bad start capacitor located either on the motor, back panel, or behind the console, or a bad timer. These are in order of most probable.
dstraple  
#3 Posted : Sunday, February 15, 2009 12:45:03 PM(UTC)
dstraple

Thanks for your reply.

The motor connector looks good and I think the timer is operating ok so I'm hoping it's the start capacitor. Fortunately it's only a $20.00 part so I went ahead and ordered it. When it arrives I'll give it a go and let you know how it worked out.

Thanks again.

Dennis
richappy  
#4 Posted : Monday, February 16, 2009 12:24:34 AM(UTC)
richappy

Keep us posted, I had a 2 yr old washer with a blown start capacitor on the back wall. Very unusual as these are supposed to be oil filled and never fail.
dstraple  
#5 Posted : Tuesday, February 17, 2009 5:25:58 PM(UTC)
dstraple

Well, you were spot on!:)

I replaced the start capacitor and the motor runs perfectly. The wash cycle agitates and the spin cycle spins.

All is right with the world.

Thank you so much for taking the time to answer my post and thank you for providing an accurate and timely response. I very much appreciate it.

Dennis
richappy  
#6 Posted : Wednesday, February 18, 2009 3:01:20 AM(UTC)
richappy

Thanks for your response, glad you got it fixed. The one I fixed had a literally blow capacitor, nothing left but a blown, dry shell with evidence of venting electolite.
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply