Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
gregger77  
#1 Posted : Sunday, February 8, 2009 3:08:34 PM(UTC)
gregger77

Groups: Registered

My 1987 direct drive washer had developed a no-spin condition, although agitation worked fine and the lid switch and motor coupler were good. So I replaced the transmission with a brand-new one.

Good news: On first test, the washer agitates and spins perfectly! Bad news: On first test, I noticed a fairly strong burning smell when agitating. (After I cleared the air, I ran drain/spin to empty the tub, and this time no smell.)

I am quite sure I reassembled everything perfectly. The only "problem" I had was that the new transmission came with the "teardrop" style lugs on its coupler, while the motor still has the old round lugs. I reused the black rubber coupling and had to "stretch" it a bit to get the new teardrop shaped lugs into the round holes. But everything fit nice and snug.

The only other "problem" I can think of is that I MAY have mixed up the motor's start capacitor lug connections...but they are both identical, connection to red wires, so it would not appear to matter.

Maybe when handling the motor I dropped some oil or a dust bunny into the windings...? Any other thoughts appreciated.
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

richappy  
#2 Posted : Monday, February 9, 2009 2:58:57 AM(UTC)
richappy

Groups: Senior Expert

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)
I would replace the coupler AP3963893
gregger77  
#3 Posted : Thursday, February 19, 2009 5:41:38 PM(UTC)
gregger77

Replaced the coupler with the new style, and all is well, no more burning smell.
mmikulak  
#4 Posted : Saturday, February 21, 2009 6:23:37 AM(UTC)
mmikulak

Rich,

I have a Kemore/Whirlpool Catalyst model 11020052994. It is also a direct drive unit. I get a burning smell every now and then. I can't pinpoint it. Do you think it is the coupler? If so, why? Do they slip? I noticed a design change in the parts description.

Mike in Phoenix
mmikulak  
#5 Posted : Saturday, February 21, 2009 7:38:29 AM(UTC)
mmikulak

I also just read about sticking break shoes. I am going to try to pull off the tub today and see if I can see anythng wrong. I do know that at the end of cycle, the tub is hard to turn in both directions. Then it feels like somthing breaks free and it moves back and forth.

Now if I can only figure out how to take this tub off..

Mike in Phoenix
richappy  
#6 Posted : Saturday, February 21, 2009 9:31:26 AM(UTC)
richappy

Take the screws off the control panel, tilt back and remove the ripply clamps holding the outer cabinet in place. Remove lid switch connector and tilt away the outer cabinet.
Remove pump and motor and check the coupler. If ok, turn the tranny coupler clockwise till the basket starts to turn. If very hard to turn, you have sticking brake shoes.
Go in the search box and put in "replacing direct drive brake shoes". Please post results.
mmikulak  
#7 Posted : Saturday, February 21, 2009 5:06:51 PM(UTC)
mmikulak

thank you.

I did do that today. I cleaned, lubed the pivot points on the brake and clutch today. I did buy a new pump assy and install it today. I pulled apart the old pump assy and noticed some rubbing marks. The motor is about 50 percent easier to turn with the new pump assy. My coupler doesn't have anything visible wrong with it.

I did one test load which worked perfectly. I will do another one now.

Mike in Phx
mmikulak  
#8 Posted : Tuesday, February 24, 2009 6:33:31 PM(UTC)
mmikulak

It worked all weekend. Probably 8-9 loads thru it. No smells as of yet. I wanted to clarify what I did. i checked the coupler and it was OK. I removed the transmission. I removed the clutch and brake parts. I cleaned the clutch and brake parts with brake cleaner. I then sanded the surfaces of the clutch ring and brake shoes and their opposing surfaces. Lubed all pivot points. FYI-It is very difficult to get that brake spring back in.

As I was doing all this I asked my wife if she had ever had water in the tub when the load was finished. She said yes and sometimes the clothes aren't very dry. I then focused on a new pump. I bought a new pump and stuck my finger in it to spin and compared it to the old one. The old one seemed to be 2-3x harder to turn. I grinded open the pump case and found rub marks opposite the motor side. Maybe it is my imagination, but the tub seems to spin faster now. My guess is the pump was impeding and increasing the load on the motor. The motor was running HOT and producing the smell.

Thank you for all your help. I did learn a lot about washers in this endeavor. I will post if this smell comes back.
richappy  
#9 Posted : Wednesday, February 25, 2009 12:35:03 AM(UTC)
richappy

Good detective work, you obviously removed the motor from the tranny with the pump and tested it by turning the motor from the coupler side.
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply