Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
hal38  
#1 Posted : Monday, May 23, 2011 6:59:41 AM(UTC)
hal38

Groups: Registered

Agitator not working. Was advised that it was most likely the timer so replaced with new timer but still doesn't work. The new timer itself is not working properly on the rinse and spin cycles so have reported it to APP and they are sending new timer. Have checked the Agitator Directional Cogs and the Direct Drive Motor Coupling and both are working okay. That leaves either the timer or the Clutch Assembly. Was told that is not likely the problem.

Also, double checked to make sure had the right timer. Any ideas?
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

Joe / APP Team  
#2 Posted : Monday, May 23, 2011 7:42:55 AM(UTC)
Joe / APP Team

Groups: Moderators

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
Originally Posted by: hal38 Go to Quoted Post
Agitator not working. Was advised that it was most likely the timer so replaced with new timer but still doesn't work. The new timer itself is not working properly on the rinse and spin cycles so have reported it to APP and they are sending new timer. Have checked the Agitator Directional Cogs and the Direct Drive Motor Coupling and both are working okay. That leaves either the timer or the Clutch Assembly. Was told that is not likely the problem.

Also, double checked to make sure had the right timer. Any ideas?

Hal,

While you had the washer apart, did you check the drain pump impeller sleeve and the pump, to see if it was seized,

Does the motor run, run with a loud noise, or not at all ?

Did you check the transmission input shaft to make sure it was not seized up as well ?

What is wrong with the rinse and spin cycle ?

We need a bit more information, so we can get you up and going.

:) :) :)
hal38  
#3 Posted : Monday, May 23, 2011 9:37:33 AM(UTC)
hal38

Joe, thanks for quick response. Pump seemed to move okay. The water drains fine and spins and rinses. It's just that it doesn't spin or rinse when the timer shows it should be doing that. Motor runs and don't notice any unusual noise. Don't know about the transmission input shaft. I did check to see that when the motor turned the pump turned and that direct drive coupling worked. Nothing seemed seized that I could tell. Pump was replaced couple years ago. I hadn't noticed it but my wife says that the washer makes a loud banging noise when it stops spinning. Thanks.
Joe / APP Team  
#4 Posted : Monday, May 23, 2011 11:24:31 AM(UTC)
Joe / APP Team

Joe, thanks for quick response. Pump seemed to move okay. The water drains fine and spins and rinses. It's just that it doesn't spin or rinse when the timer shows it should be doing that. Motor runs and don't notice any unusual noise. Don't know about the transmission input shaft. I did check to see that when the motor turned the pump turned and that direct drive coupling worked. Nothing seemed seized that I could tell. Pump was replaced couple years ago. I hadn't noticed it but my wife says that the washer makes a loud banging noise when it stops spinning. Thanks.

Hal,

So the washer does work(fill,wash, drain/spin) but the indicator doesn't align properly, correct ? and you installed the new timer with the same results ?

Did you check the dial and knob to make sure they were installed properly, cracked or broken ? also, you may need to check and make sure the timer is installed properly on the control panel mounts(holes).

As for the "banging" noise at the end of the soin cycle, that sounds a lot like a dammaged drive block and or spin tube mounting tab(s).

Part number: AP2905773

Part number: AP3114270

You'll need to remove the tub cover, agitator, the tub nut, and spin basket to check them, It's not as bad as it sounds, you can "get by" with a small pipe wrench to remove the basket nut, instead of the nut removal tool.

It's not likely that both the old and new timer would do the same thing, so you need to look elsewhere, and the knob and dial are the most logical next move.

Good Luck,
hal38  
#5 Posted : Monday, May 23, 2011 4:30:48 PM(UTC)
hal38

Originally Posted by: Joe / APP Team Go to Quoted Post
Hal,

So the washer does work(fill,wash, drain/spin) but the indicator doesn't align properly, correct ? and you installed the new timer with the same results ?

Did you check the dial and knob to make sure they were installed properly, cracked or broken ? also, you may need to check and make sure the timer is installed properly on the control panel mounts(holes).

As for the "banging" noise at the end of the soin cycle, that sounds a lot like a dammaged drive block and or spin tube mounting tab(s).

You'll need to remove the tub cover, agitator, the tub nut, and spin basket to check them, It's not as bad as it sounds, you can "get by" with a small pipe wrench to remove the basket nut, instead of the nut removal tool.

It's not likely that both the old and new timer would do the same thing, so you need to look elsewhere, and the knob and dial are the most logical next move.

Good Luck,

Joe, Let me re-summarize: Washer fills, drains and spins but does not agitate (wash). The old timer that I just replaced worked except for agitatiing. The new timer, knob etc can only be installed one way. It is slotted to just one fitting and is not cracked or broken.

So the main problem is that agitator does not work. Secondly the timer is off from the dial. The noise on ending is last and least problem.

Are the two parts you showed for the agitator or for the noise at end of wash?
Joe / APP Team  
#6 Posted : Tuesday, May 24, 2011 8:29:08 AM(UTC)
Joe / APP Team

Joe, Let me re-summarize: Washer fills, drains and spins but does not agitate (wash). The old timer that I just replaced worked except for agitatiing. The new timer, knob etc can only be installed one way. It is slotted to just one fitting and is not cracked or broken.

So the main problem is that agitator does not work. Secondly the timer is off from the dial. The noise on ending is last and least problem.

Are the two parts you showed for the agitator or for the noise at end of wash?

Hal,

OK then, the parts I listed, are for the banging noise at the end of the cycle, but it sounds like you'll need them.

You replaced the timer, it didn't solve the problem, washer still won't agitate and the dial is not aligned.
The motor runs, apparently in both directions, and the coupling is "good", and no abnormal noises,so it's not the motor.

That leaves a problem in the transmission/gearcase, or the agitator splines are stripped out and the shaft is spinning inside the agitator.

You'll need to remove the complete agitator and turn it upside down and check the splines, to see if they're smooth/stripped out, you could also try to turn the bottom portion of the agitator, it should not move.

You'll need a helper for this one, remove the pump, motor and the motor side of the coupler, have your helper watch the agitator, when you turn the coupler,on the transmission input shaft counter clockwise , the agitator should move back and forth. When you turn it clockwise, it should engage the clutch(after a few turns) and the tub should start to spin.

Quick Reply Show Quick Reply