Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
shood  
#1 Posted : Sunday, May 15, 2011 1:15:08 PM(UTC)
shood

Groups: Registered

Our Washing machine wont drain. It's an Amana Extra Large Capacity Heavy Duty washer, Model: LW3502W, MFG# P1163201WW. I got it from a family member in 2008. They only had it for a few years. So I'm guessing it's 6 to 8 years old. Has worked great untill now. My wife started the unit like any other time but after only a few minutes there was smoke pouring our of the front and rear panel seams. When the smoke cleared I was able to bypass the lid switch and watch the tub & water spin but not drain. We removed the clothes and shop vac'd the water out. I took the washer out to the garage and opened it up. The motor/pump assy smelled burnt. But it was a faint burnt smell. Not a heavy burnt smell. The pump impeller looks clean & spins freely. So does the motor. The belt has symmetrical cracks all around it. Almost like they are suppose to be there. There was however, rubber dust covering the top of the pump. But no evidence it made it's way inside the pump. The tub also spins freely. I opened up the top to get to the electronics. But there was no burnt smell of any other evidence of burning. My original thought was a bad belt but I saw the tub spinning. I just won't drain. Any suggestions?:confused:
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

gabe_1981  
#2 Posted : Sunday, May 15, 2011 1:23:57 PM(UTC)
gabe_1981

Groups: Senior Expert

My first thought would be something stuck in the pump causing it to lock up and burn the belt ... If you dont see anything in the pump, it may have pushed through and is now cought in your drain lines ... inspect all drain lines for any blockage.
shood  
#3 Posted : Sunday, May 15, 2011 3:51:17 PM(UTC)
shood

So I put everything back together and ran a cycle. I worked! I didn't really do anything special so I wasn't convinced. And I was right. I ran a second cycle and it didn't drain. Everything else seems to work ok. I did notice the belt is very loose no matter how tight the tensioner and springs are. Would a bad belt cause all of this?
gabe_1981  
#4 Posted : Monday, May 16, 2011 7:36:03 AM(UTC)
gabe_1981

On the Amma/Speedqueen washers the pump is ran on a direct drive system where even if the belt was cracked, broken, or missing it would not affect the pumps operation ... When In a drain/spin and the motor is turning the pump and the water is not draining there is a problem with the pump or a blockage in the drain line ... I would also suggest replacing the belt if its warn and cracked to reduce noise and increase spin speed
shood  
#5 Posted : Tuesday, May 17, 2011 2:51:18 PM(UTC)
shood

found the problem.....I pulled the hoses out but there was no blockage. Removed the motor/pump assy. Even though the motor shaft spins the impeller is intermittent. There must have been a blockage at some point because there is a broken fin on the impeller. I can easily hold the impeller still while rotating the motor shaft. There is a thin film of rubber/water splatter all around the inside of the sidewalls. A friend told me the rubber drum boot is failing and it's time to replace the entire washer.
gabe_1981  
#6 Posted : Tuesday, May 17, 2011 6:11:42 PM(UTC)
gabe_1981

Thats great you found the drain problem ... I had a feeling it had something to do with the pump ... As for the evidence of water spray around the inside of the cabinet it's pretty safe to say the tub seal is the source of the leak ... Almost ever Amana washer I've rebuilt has that same problem ... It seems very common for that brand
shood  
#7 Posted : Wednesday, May 18, 2011 5:51:02 AM(UTC)
shood

I guess the next question is: if Whirlpool owns the Amana, Maytag & Roper brand names, are there any differences in those brands? If Amana brands seem to have boot seal failures, does that mean that Maytag, Whirlpool & Roper brands have the same failures, or are the designed differently?
gabe_1981  
#8 Posted : Wednesday, May 18, 2011 9:33:50 AM(UTC)
gabe_1981

Amana and most Maytags have a different design than Whirlpool, Roper, and Estate ... In my opinion the whirlpool design washer is the best I've seen ... Its a direct drive system with no belts involved ... Since Whirlpool ownes Maytag they have kept the Maytag name and look but have Whirlpool guts ... Not all Maytag washers are built Whirlpool though ... When you decide to replace that Amana washer I suggest goin Whirlpool direct drive topload ... You will not be let down.
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply