Discuss

Whirlpool Duet drum replacement

in

Washer Repair

. "

I am attempting to replace my duet outer-tub assembly. The typical bearings were gone so I ordered the replacement outer-tub

..."

Register | FAQ's | New Posts | Today's Posts | Extras
Appliance Repair Forum > Appliance Repair Help > Washer Repair » Whirlpool Duet drum replacement

Post New Thread  Reply By reading any content on this site you agree to AppliancePartsPros.com, Inc. disclaimer and Terms of Use.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 05-15-2011, 06:42 AM

U of M Fan is on a distinguished road
Default Whirlpool Duet drum replacement
Brand: Whirlpool   Age: 5 - 10 years   

Appliance Parts from AppliancePartPros.com

I am attempting to replace my duet outer-tub assembly. The typical bearings were gone so I ordered the replacement outer-tub section. I can't seem to seperate the stainless steel tub from the original outer-tub assembly. Any suggestions on how you push the stainless tub axle out of the plastic outer-shell. I have tried a rubber mallot and can't get this axle to push the drum out. Thanks.

See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

Old 05-16-2011, 01:19 PM
Senior Expert
APP Volunteer

sidfink43 has a spectacular aura about

Well not sure which Duet you have, but they are all pretty much alike so see if this service manual doesn't help you out.

https://secured.whirlpool.com/Servic...0Job%20Aid.pdf
Old 05-16-2011, 03:51 PM

Default Whirlpool drum replacement

Quote:
Originally Posted by sidfink43 View Post
Well not sure which Duet you have, but they are all pretty much alike so see if this service manual doesn't help you out.

https://secured.whirlpool.com/Servic...0Job%20Aid.pdf
I have the Duet model GHW9150PW0. I did look at this manual and it doesn't cover what I'm attempting to do. The stainless drum is inside of a plastic outer drum with a spindle between them. I ordered the plastic outer tub, which has the new bearing built into it. My problem is seperating the two. It appears as though the spindle would simply pull right through but it won't pull at all. Not sure if something is holding the two pieces together that I can't see or not. Thought maybe somebody might know the trick to getting these two apart. Thanks.
Old 05-16-2011, 04:05 PM
Senior Expert
APP Volunteer

Once you have taken off the clamps that hold the two pieces together it should pull apart, but there may be some unseen problem with your machine so I am reluctant to tell you to use all available force.
Old 05-16-2011, 04:57 PM

Default Whirlpool drum removal

Quote:
Originally Posted by sidfink43 View Post
Once you have taken off the clamps that hold the two pieces together it should pull apart, but there may be some unseen problem with your machine so I am reluctant to tell you to use all available force.
I have the stainless drum completely out of the machine. It came out with the outer tub around it ( had to remove all the clips to get it out). I can't pull the plastic outer tub off the stainless steel inner tub. As soon as I can get these two apart, I can put the new outer tub over the stainless drum but for some reason the shaft won't pull through the old one.
Old 05-16-2011, 05:34 PM
Senior Expert
APP Volunteer

I can only suggest you contact Whirlpool and see if they can help you, or take the assembly into a local shop who may be able to work on it for you at a small cost.
Old 11-15-2012, 11:28 AM

jesusisholy is on a distinguished road
Smile Jesus really is who he says he is !!!!

about the tub on whirlpool duet. The shaft on basket is froze to the bearing. Did you know that whirlpool puts a 10 year warrenty on the tub and basket. They will send you the complete kit. Basket an tub assembled free. If they tell you they need a appliance repair tech to check it out its still worth it to pay him and do the repair yourself if you know how. It will save you a chunk of money. This way you won't have to take your old basket out. Otherwise you would need to soak the back bearring in lubricant like rust killer or wd40 or whatever solvant you choose.
Old 10-12-2014, 07:30 PM

bswihart is on a distinguished road
Smile Drum and basket has excessive excursion druing spin

In my case, the spider completely separated from the shaft and the inner drum was loose inside the outer drum. I completed this repair with replacement parts from whirlpool under warranty and leveled the machine. During the spin cycle the suspended mass has much more movement than before. I suppose it is possible that the shocks are worn out after 9 years and that caused the imbalance and additional load on the spider to cause it to fail but am skeptical. I took a shock off to investigate and these are simply a steel shaft inside a bushing with thixotropic grease. A lousy damper since it appears that is really does not respond to velocity like a shock absorber would. Anyway it seems that it should not wear out. since there is no seal or fluid in the shock. Any suggestions?
Old 10-12-2014, 07:31 PM

Smile Drum and basket has excessive excursion druing spin

In my case, the spider completely separated from the shaft and the inner drum was loose inside the outer drum. I completed this repair with replacement parts from whirlpool under warranty and leveled the machine. During the spin cycle the suspended mass has much more movement than before. I suppose it is possible that the shocks are worn out after 9 years and that caused the imbalance and additional load on the spider to cause it to fail but am skeptical. I took a shock off to investigate and these are simply a steel shaft inside a bushing with thixotropic grease. A lousy damper since it appears that is really does not respond to velocity like a shock absorber would. Anyway it seems that it should not wear out. since there is no seal or fluid in the shock. Any suggestions?
Old 10-12-2014, 08:31 PM

Default Things I checked

In addition to the shocks, I inspected the weights, springs, level, drum baffles, all appear to be secure. The springs are attached to the front biased location of the cabinet assy and the front biased locations of the outer drum assy.
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.