Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
awmccready@msn.com  
#1 Posted : Wednesday, May 11, 2011 5:07:56 PM(UTC)
awmccready@msn.com

Groups: Registered

I replaced the transmission, seal, and bearings on my GE model WHDSR315D0WW washer due to spin noise. There was also a slight leak through or around the old seal onto the transmission, but it never showed. That leak appeared to have caused the transmission noise.

The new seal leaks much worse. The transmission noise is gone (but not for long with the worsened leak). The new seal is not a real snug fit into the outer tub hub and by design there is nothing to hold it in the hub except friction. When agitation begins, the seal appears to creep up.

One possibility is that the outer tub hub is (or always was) distorted or enlarged. With the spanner wrench, I tried only hand tightening the lock nut holding the inner tub onto the spindle and added some teflon tape around the seal. That lessened but did not eliminate the leak.

This is the 2nd new seal I tried, so the seal is an unlikely cause.

Any suggestions will be appreciated.

Thanks.
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

awmccready@msn.com  
#2 Posted : Friday, May 27, 2011 1:31:42 PM(UTC)
awmccready@msn.com

Groups: Registered

Originally Posted by: awmccready@msn.com Go to Quoted Post
I replaced the transmission, seal, and bearings on my GE model WHDSR315D0WW washer due to spin noise. There was also a slight leak through or around the old seal onto the transmission, but it never showed. That leak appeared to have caused the transmission noise.

The new seal leaks much worse. The transmission noise is gone (but not for long with the worsened leak). The new seal is not a real snug fit into the outer tub hub and by design there is nothing to hold it in the hub except friction. When agitation begins, the seal appears to creep up.

One possibility is that the outer tub hub is (or always was) distorted or enlarged. With the spanner wrench, I tried only hand tightening the lock nut holding the inner tub onto the spindle and added some teflon tape around the seal. That lessened but did not eliminate the leak.

This is the 2nd new seal I tried, so the seal is an unlikely cause.

Any suggestions will be appreciated.

Thanks.

After numerous tries, I fixed the leaking seal by simply wrapping it about 10-15 times with plumbing teflon tape (the thin white stuff), thereby achieving a snug fit into the outer tub hub hole.

the seal has been working OK without leaks now for at least 2 weekends and at least 6 loads of clothes.

I suspect this is a design problem and is probably known to GE.

Left unrepaired a leaking seal will eventually ruin the transmission causing tremendous racket especially during the spin cycle. the transmission will cost at least $90 plus shipping, etc. online, e.g., ********, if you are lucky.

Enjoy!
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply