Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

4 Pages123>»
New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
ANDREA1  
#1 Posted : Thursday, April 28, 2011 10:04:50 AM(UTC)
ANDREA1

Groups: Registered

Is there any part in my front loading washer that can only be accessed/seen by taking the top off, that would cause the entire drum to move back and forth? I have taken off the bottom front panel and back, and shocks, springs, bearing seem okay. It is definitely looser at the top of the drum, but can't see anything loose or broken from the back. Washer started knocking a week ago during spin cycle, but works fine otherwise. Also, there is no grinding or anything when manually turning the drum.
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

Joe / APP Team  
#2 Posted : Thursday, April 28, 2011 11:35:56 AM(UTC)
Joe / APP Team

Groups: Moderators

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
Originally Posted by: ANDREA1 Go to Quoted Post
Is there any part in my front loading washer that can only be accessed/seen by taking the top off, that would cause the entire drum to move back and forth? I have taken off the bottom front panel and back, and shocks, springs, bearing seem okay. It is definitely looser at the top of the drum, but can't see anything loose or broken from the back. Washer started knocking a week ago during spin cycle, but works fine otherwise. Also, there is no grinding or anything when manually turning the drum.

Andrea,

Your washer has 2 suspension springs on the front of the washer tub.

You can see and access them once you have removed the top of the machine.
Removing the top panel:

1. Disconnect the washer from the electrical supply.
2. Removethe (2) screws fromthe rearof thetop, slide

the top back and lift it off.

Suspension spring - This front load washer suspension spring includes the insulators on each end and are located toward the top in the front supporting the drum. It is recommended to replace both springs at the same time for even wear. Also consider checking the rear suspension springs as well.

Part Number: AP3212517

Good Luck,
:) :) :)

ANDREA1  
#3 Posted : Friday, April 29, 2011 8:12:32 AM(UTC)
ANDREA1

Originally Posted by: Joe / APP Team Go to Quoted Post
Andrea,

Your washer has 2 suspension springs on the front of the washer tub.

You can see and access them once you have removed the top of the machine.
Removing the top panel:
1. Disconnect the washer from the electrical supply.
2. Removethe (2) screws fromthe rearof thetop, slide

the top back and lift it off.
Suspension spring - This front load washer suspension spring includes the insulators on each end and are located toward the top in the front supporting the drum. It is recommended to replace both springs at the same time for even wear. Also consider checking the rear suspension springs as well.

Part Number: AP3212517

Good Luck,

Hi Joe

I can see the springs from the back and they "look" okay. They move along with the tub, but don't look stretched or too worn. Shouldn't they move a little or are they supposed to be SO incredibly tight that they shouldn't move at all? I also don't see any rear suspension springs. There are two springs holding the tub up and two shocks supporting the tub. Then of course the moter, hoses, etc. That's why I wondered if there was any other spring or attachment that I couldn't see that maybe held the top front of the tub a little tighter. I have my dryer on top of my washer so I was hoping not to move it unless there was something I couldn't see from the back or bottom front.
Joe / APP Team  
#4 Posted : Friday, April 29, 2011 11:01:13 AM(UTC)
Joe / APP Team

Hi Joe

I can see the springs from the back and they "look" okay. They move along with the tub, but don't look stretched or too worn. Shouldn't they move a little or are they supposed to be SO incredibly tight that they shouldn't move at all? I also don't see any rear suspension springs. There are two springs holding the tub up and two shocks supporting the tub. Then of course the moter, hoses, etc. That's why I wondered if there was any other spring or attachment that I couldn't see that maybe held the top front of the tub a little tighter. I have my dryer on top of my washer so I was hoping not to move it unless there was something I couldn't see from the back or bottom front.

Andrea,
Everything sounds "normal" the springs are designed to be a little "tight" or stiff.
There are counter weights mounted to the front and back of the tub, you should've seen the rear counter balance when you had the back off, the screws could be loose and the weights may be shifting, did you hear any scaping or clunking noise when the tub was shifting ?
Theres not a lot you can do, until you dismount the dryer from the washer, all the remaining access points are through the top or front of the washer.

This problem is consistant, it wasn't just a couple of loads, correct ?

ANDREA1  
#5 Posted : Friday, April 29, 2011 4:21:02 PM(UTC)
ANDREA1

I can see the weight on the back, but obviously not the front until I move the dryer. I will have my husband do that tomorrow and see what we find. Everything does look normal. There is nothing noticably loose or broken.
The banging started a a week or so ago. I was washing a blanket and just assumed it was because the load was uneven; but then it did it with the next two loads which were normal size. I put it on the spin cycle a few times with nothing in it, and the same banging occurs. Then when I took the back off, I put it on the spin cycle for a few seconds and the banging stopped (it was apparently hitting against the back), but the tub was bouncing all around.
ANDREA1  
#6 Posted : Saturday, April 30, 2011 11:36:16 AM(UTC)
ANDREA1

Okay, so looking at everything from the top doesn't help either. There is nothing I can see that would make the tub so loose, unless that is the normal movement of the tub. Although its obviously hitting the back, which it never did before.
Joe / APP Team  
#7 Posted : Monday, May 2, 2011 5:56:23 AM(UTC)
Joe / APP Team

Andrea,

There is some back and forth movement / tolerance, but not like you're describing.

Thats, usually a good indication of a gross overload, but usually returns to normal, at this point you're going to need to look at the shocks and the mounts, make sure they're not bent and the tub mount for cracks, also check the "boot" gasket between the tubs in the front loading door. check to see if it got twisted,bunched up or has come loose.

Good Luck,

ANDREA1  
#8 Posted : Monday, May 2, 2011 8:49:02 AM(UTC)
ANDREA1

I ran a load of laundry yesterday with the back off and it made the same banging noise. I actually sat by the washer during the whole wash to see if I could figure it out. It now sounds like it's something in the tub itself moving around. Is there something in the tub that could've come loose or broken off? I'm thinking thats not something I should try to fix myself?
Joe / APP Team  
#9 Posted : Monday, May 2, 2011 11:26:53 AM(UTC)
Joe / APP Team

I ran a load of laundry yesterday with the back off and it made the same banging noise. I actually sat by the washer during the whole wash to see if I could figure it out. It now sounds like it's something in the tub itself moving around. Is there something in the tub that could've come loose or broken off? I'm thinking thats not something I should try to fix myself?

Andrea,

There's nothing between the tubs that could break off, you may have something between the tubs, but that should cause a "drag" on the tub, not a back and forth movement. Did you check to see if one of the baffles in the tub is loose or broken ? If we can't see anything obvious, it may be time to get some new eyes on the subject.

:confused: :confused: :confused:
siqon  
#10 Posted : Monday, June 6, 2011 6:14:18 PM(UTC)
siqon

hi same problem, followed the generous advive but...
[URL="http://forum.appliancepartspros.com/washer-repair/213059-kenmore-front-loading-washer.html"][/URL]
open the back and top, started a load but the clunking seen to come from the inside between the tub and the tub plastic "cover" cause nothing touches the structure... is it off balance ? cause the counter weight seen ok?
althought the belt seen tight its runing off (toward inside) but its runing well turning the drum while open ???

help pls! and many thx
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply