Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
toohip  
#1 Posted : Tuesday, April 26, 2011 11:49:35 AM(UTC)
toohip

Groups: Registered

Model LAT4916AAE, top load super capacity. Will fill, and wash, but when reaches drain cycle or spin cycle will just hum, then shuts off (overload?). Belts are good. Motor is moving back and forth OK. Tightened belt to drain pump. Could this be timer or mechanical? Spent $350+ last repair, don't want to exceed replacement.
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

Gene  
#2 Posted : Tuesday, April 26, 2011 2:56:31 PM(UTC)
Gene

Groups: Senior Expert, Administrators

Was thanked: 4 time(s) in 4 post(s)
Remove the drive belt and try to rotate the drive pulley CCW. If it's not moving then the transmission has gone bad.

Here are the breakdown diagrams and Replacement parts for MAYTAG LAT4916AAE WASHER-TOP LOADING | AppliancePartsPros.com

Gene.
toohip  
#3 Posted : Wednesday, April 27, 2011 7:15:43 AM(UTC)
toohip

Originally Posted by: Gene Go to Quoted Post
Remove the drive belt and try to rotate the drive pulley CCW. If it's not moving then the transmission has gone bad.

Here are the breakdown diagrams and Replacement parts for MAYTAG LAT4916AAE WASHER-TOP LOADING | AppliancePartsPros.com

Gene.

Estimated cost of part and service? Worth doing or buy new?
toohip  
#4 Posted : Wednesday, April 27, 2011 8:25:14 AM(UTC)
toohip

Gene.

Gene,
Removed belts turned main pully, after break engaged tub DID turn. Pump seems working and unclogged. However with belts off, motor just hummed. Reinstalled belts, tipped tub back, plugged in, turned to "spin" just hummed - gave main pully a push and it started to spin - however, tub didn't turn, but agitator started working???? Could it be transmission springs failed, "humming" was motor trying to work, fried part of windings, and transmission and motor bad now? Looks like a complete replacement?
Gene  
#5 Posted : Wednesday, April 27, 2011 2:04:49 PM(UTC)
Gene

Originally Posted by: toohip Go to Quoted Post
...gave main pully a push and it started to spin...

The motor is definitely bad. In which direction did you push the pulley?

The motor is $169.31

- The motor Part number: AP4009168
Part number: AP4009168

Gene.
toohip  
#6 Posted : Wednesday, April 27, 2011 4:31:48 PM(UTC)
toohip

The motor is definitely bad. In which direction did you push the pulley?

The motor is $169.31

- The motor Part number: AP4009168
Part number: AP4009168

Gene.

Looking from the bottom up, the pulley was running counter-clockwise. This didn't seem right. I believe when I moved the pulley by hand to turn the tub, I spun it clock wise (looking up).
What doesn't make sense is when I give the pully a start in the "spin" cyle it takes off, but it's the agitator that's running - not the tub spinning.
If I knew it was only the motor, I think I could replace it myself, but I'm afraid it's the transmission too. The transmission has to be expensive, unless it's an internal part. Since I previously invested $400, and because of it's age, unless I can narrow it down to something less than $200, I feel it's safer to buy a new one? Maybe I should invest $65 in a repair call, but I'm afraid even they my "throw parts" at it until it's fixed. That's what happened last time, and upset me.

Suggestions?
Gene  
#7 Posted : Thursday, April 28, 2011 2:09:43 PM(UTC)
Gene

Originally Posted by: toohip Go to Quoted Post
...Looking from the bottom up, the pulley was running counter-clockwise...

This is the correct direction for the spin and drain.

BTW, another way to prove it was moving in the correct direction is the drain pump. Did it drain at that time?

If it did and the washer was agitating at the same time, the tranny is bad too. It is very important for proper diagnosis to confirm the direction.

The transmission is very expensive (over $240) and it's not easy to replace it, so if it's bad too then it's not worth to fix it.

Gene.
toohip  
#8 Posted : Friday, April 29, 2011 4:35:11 PM(UTC)
toohip

This is the correct direction for the spin and drain.

BTW, another way to prove it was moving in the correct direction is the drain pump. Did it drain at that time?

If it did and the washer was agitating at the same time, the tranny is bad too. It is very important for proper diagnosis to confirm the direction.

The transmission is very expensive (over $240) and it's not easy to replace it, so if it's bad too then it's not worth to fix it.

Gene.

Gene,
Thank you for your time. However, when I spin the pully counter clockwise (looking up from bottom) with the belt off, it just spins loosely, (because the clutch isn't engaging?). But when I spin it the opposite way, clockwise (bottom up), the clutch catches and the drum starts to turn. So clockwise, looking up, seems to be the way the drum should spin? However, when I put the pully on and put the timer on "spin" the motor hums and doesn't turn (bad motor for sure), but if I give the pull a spin counter clockwise it takes off and the motor run, but the tub doesn't spin the agitator starts moving. Could you be incorrect on the direction? Or is the motor (timer??) running the spin cycle the wrong way? Or is it the transmission that's going the wrong way?

On spin, with a nudge, the pully runs clockwise - looking down into the tub - but just the oscillator moves - not the tub. The wash won't run because I have no water in the tub. Should I fill and try it again? You said to watch for the pump to drain - but if it's not spinning the tub, the water won't drain - correct? If it's running on wash cycle - agitator only moving - on the "spin" cycle - the water shouldn't drain then - correct? If only the agitator is working on "spin" doesn't that sound like transmission is messed up or something reversed?

I would fix it for just the motor, but I agree, the transmission is too expensive. I want to believe the transmission is OK, and it's just the motor. Does this information give you enough to determine if the transimission is possibly good? I'll await your response if you feel it "could" be the transmission, I'll cut my losses and buy a new washer. I really like to fix it, but would like to keep it under $200.

Thank you for your patience.
Gene  
#9 Posted : Saturday, April 30, 2011 2:34:52 PM(UTC)
Gene

Sorry, I misled you. The directions I posted meant the top view. So very likely the problem is just a bad motor. Also if you will order the motor from APP and it would not fix the problem, you can return it even if the motor was installed.

Gene.
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply