Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
csol147462  
#1 Posted : Thursday, November 1, 2007 7:37:16 AM(UTC)
csol147462

Groups: Registered

I have replaced the belt as well as the clutch (and clip) assembly which was rusted on the outside. No change as the machine goes through all it's cycles except the spin cycle. I believe it must be either the control assembly or the trans/brake assembly. Should you believe it's the trans/brake - is this something a do-it-yourselfter can do? If "yes" please provide instructions. Thank you.
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

richappy  
#2 Posted : Thursday, November 1, 2007 12:45:44 PM(UTC)
richappy

Groups: Senior Expert

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)
Pull the belt off the tranny and turn tranny pulley in spin direction. If very hard to turn, you probably have something caught in the tub. You can shine a lite in there to check. Most of the time, you can remove the tub plastic top and with a coat hanger fish the item out.
If ok there, check the tub seal just above the tranny for a water leak. Please post results.
csol147462  
#3 Posted : Friday, November 2, 2007 12:22:00 PM(UTC)
csol147462

Richappy,
Thank you for your input. This is the first time I have used the "Appliance Repair Form" and what you are about to read could be a repeat of what I wrote when I clicked on "Quick reply." I didn't see anything get posted so I'm trying again. First, I took the belt off and turned the tub without feeling any resistance. I put the belt back on and again turned the tub feeling hardly any resistance doing so. However, before I turned the washer over to access the bottom panel, I could hear that water remained inside the machine. When I turned the tub as you advised I did note that about a quarter cup of water had leaked out of the machine. I was unable to locate the origin of this leak. I then tested the machine with the following hand control settings: Load Size = small; Custom Care Speed = Normal/slow; Water Temp. = Cold/cold; Options = Off; and Main Wash dial = Quick wash. The tub filled with water and agitated normally with no unusual sounds. I then moved the Main Wash dial over to "Spin Only." The tub began to spin (I opened the door to see it spinning) but it made a loud clunking sound during each revolution. The actual tub spinning lasted for less then ten seconds (I timed it) before the machine just made a "humming" sound for the next minute and thirty seconds. Then the tub spun for 10 seconds (making the clunking sound) and then hummed for the next minute and a half. Five times it did this before turning off. If you decide this "sounds like" a bad trans/brake assembly - is this something a do-it-yourselfer can do? If so, kindly provide instructions.
richappy  
#4 Posted : Saturday, November 3, 2007 1:28:07 AM(UTC)
richappy

Sounds like a loose spin basket. Will the basket wobble when shaken. If so pull agitator and tighten the tub nut, turn counterclockwise, left hand thread, you may need the special spanner wrench for this.
csol147462  
#5 Posted : Saturday, November 3, 2007 8:42:53 AM(UTC)
csol147462

richappy,
Again, thank you for your assistance. Yes, the basket "wobbled" when shaken. I am referring to the "basket" being comprised of the following pieces all moving as one: Tub cover, Balancing ring, Basket, dispenser, and Agitator assembly - when grasping the dispenser and pushing it easily from side to side. Now before I break something I have a problem "pulling the agitator and tightening the tub nut with a special spanner wrench." In the Parts Diagram it shows the Dispenser as one piece and the agitator as one piece. As best as I can describe it, the Dispenser and first half of the agitator are frozen together. I mean when I pull "up" on the Dispenser that part and the "screw" part of the Agitator move together separate from the lower 4-fin part of the Agitator. I'd guess that I can move them up and down an 8th to a quarter of an inch. Then the 4-fin part of the Agitator will come up another quarter inch. No doubt that there is something pretty loose here. My problem is trying to hold the upper part of the Agitator with one hand and trying to turn or pry the Dispenser "up and off" has not been successful. So before I break something, do you have a helpful suggestion as to how to get these pieces off so I can tighten the "hub nut" which I believe you referred to as the "tub nut."
richappy  
#6 Posted : Saturday, November 3, 2007 3:11:14 PM(UTC)
richappy

Take a rope and route it under the agitator and tie it around a 2x4 and pry up the agitator. Remove the plastic drive block to expose the nut. You will have to buy the special spanner wrench to tighten. Good luck.
csol147462  
#7 Posted : Saturday, November 3, 2007 3:54:28 PM(UTC)
csol147462

richappy,
I certainly am most appreciative of your last quick reply and for all your previous timely responses. May I impose, yet again, for the source/store/manufacturer of the special spanner wrench that I need to tighten the "tub nut" or possibly a description or picture of this wrench. Again, thank you for all your previous assistance and knowledge in saving me from purchasing unnecessary expensive parts that probably would not have solved my "washer not spinning" problem.
richappy  
#8 Posted : Sunday, November 4, 2007 1:35:06 AM(UTC)
richappy

You can order the the special spanner wrench at any online parts place. Pn wx5x1325 about $40
csol147462  
#9 Posted : Sunday, November 4, 2007 9:36:44 AM(UTC)
csol147462

richappy,
So close, but still not there. I used your suggestion for removing the agitator (rope under agitator and 2x4) it worked like a dream. What has me still held up is the removal of the "plastic drive block." I got the 7/16ths bolt off - no problem, but can't budge the plastic drive block. I tried putting a rope under it and prying up with the 2x4 again. No luck. Put a small crow-bar under the plastic edge and tried just working it around but felt I could not put enough pressure on the "Hub" without damaging or breaking the hub. Question - can the hub take some abuse? Because I still have to order the special wrench (thanks for the PN) on Monday, I sure would appreciate any suggestion you may have for removing this part. Also, when I removed the agitator - what came off was all one piece. Meaning the dispenser and "screw" part of the agitator and 4-fined bottom part. It was all one piece on my machine. Is this correct? Also, in referance to what was "loose" in regard to the "basket" and agitator all "wobbleing" around - it was my "one piece" agitator that was loose on the "plastic drive block." With the agitator removed I could easily push the following pieces (all acting as one piece) very easily around = Tub cover, Balancing ring assembly, Basket, Hub, and (I assume) the Tub assembly. All those pieces moved as "one" when I pushed on the bottom "Hub." I am NOT doubting your expertise when you say I need to tighten the tub nut, I'm only stating that the above referenced parts all solidly moved around or wobbled tightly together as one piece, unlike the agitator that has some "slop" as it rides on the plastic drive block.
angie  
#10 Posted : Friday, November 9, 2007 5:14:13 PM(UTC)
angie

i am trying to replace the belt on my ge front load washer, but can't seem to get the belt on. please help.
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply