Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
derekjude  
#1 Posted : Friday, April 22, 2011 3:42:20 PM(UTC)
derekjude

Groups: Registered

alright so randomly my cousin came in and told me my washer wasnt working. im a car guy so i think what the hell i can fix this no problem. the washer would fill up with water but not agitate, but yet would rinse and spin... i did research and thought it might be the motor because i was told the agitation cycle is one way and the spin and rinse is the other. whenever you would put it in wash mode it would make a humming sound and smell burnt. so i put the new motor in took 15 min easy, still no wash...dont know what it can be honestly. tinkered with the timer switch and now the damn washer wont drain or spin or wash, just fill with water. my dad really freaked when his washer stopped working and since im his oldest son and the mechanical one i told him id fix it to save him money ( i tend to fix everything for everyone for free since i enjoy tinkering) but now i've hit a wall. any help is appreciated, im going to pull that new motor and return it and maybe order the next new part to actually fix the damn thing :)- Derek
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

sidfink43  
#2 Posted : Saturday, April 23, 2011 4:55:39 PM(UTC)
sidfink43

Groups: Senior Expert

Ok, first the good news. What you have is a Whirlpool made direct drive washer.

Instead of a belt, the motor shaft directly drives the transmission. As you saw when you replaced the motor, there is a rubber coupling between the motor shaft and the transmission shaft. The other shaft from the motor drives the pump. You are correct, in agitation mode the motor turns one way, and in spin mode it reverses. It has a capacitor to start it. The motors on these machines are work horses, they almost never fail and I don't think it is possible for it to fail in one direction.

Ok, now the bad news. There are a lot of things that could be wrong. Here is a list.

1. The motor capacitor is bad (not likely).
2. The transmission was bad (likely, if the motor was turning in agitation mode but the machine would not agitate, I am assuming the who agitator would not move)
3. The coupling is bad.
4. The lid switch is bad (by pass it and run the machine with the cabinet off to see what the motor is doing when it is supposed to be agitating or spinning.
5. The coupling is jammed
6. The timer is bad.

With some testing and diagnostics you should be able to rule out most of these. If you rule out all of them, let us know your results and we will see what else we can come up with.

Good luck, and you may want to consider adopting the rule in our house, which is the person discovering the problem is responsible for fixing it. Can't tell you how much grief I have avoided with that.
derekjude  
#3 Posted : Sunday, April 24, 2011 5:35:06 AM(UTC)
derekjude

Groups: Registered

personally i think its the timer since when i started to play with it more, the washer stopped spinning and wont spin now, but only fill with water instead. but i pulled the motor and put the other one back in and it still fills fine but wont spin or agitate. guess ill look into the lid switch and timer next. really dont think its the coupler it looked fine and the transmission would smell if it was bad and it doesnt smell. just trying to figure out what that humming sound is from when it would be on agitate but wouldnt work...
sidfink43  
#4 Posted : Sunday, April 24, 2011 6:10:25 AM(UTC)
sidfink43

Groups: Senior Expert

Go ahead and try replacing the timer. A bad timer can get you the humming sound.

If you buy from this site and the part does not fix the problem you can return it, see the returns policy for details and conditions.
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply