Discuss

Maytag washer begins spinning, stops and shuts down

in

Washer Repair

. "

Maytag washer stops spinning after rinse water has mostly emptied and then shuts down cold. I ran it with no

..."

Register | FAQ's | New Posts | Today's Posts | Extras
Appliance Repair Forum > Appliance Repair Help > Washer Repair » Maytag washer begins spinning, stops and shuts down

Post New Thread  Reply By reading any content on this site you agree to AppliancePartsPros.com, Inc. disclaimer and Terms of Use.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 04-13-2011, 07:40 PM

herbyreed is on a distinguished road
Default Maytag washer begins spinning, stops and shuts down
Brand: -brand-   Age: More than 10 years   

Appliance Parts from AppliancePartPros.com

Maytag washer stops spinning after rinse water has mostly emptied and then shuts down cold. I ran it with no clothes in it - turned the timer to the spin cycle. It filled up with water, spin started until most water emptied, then shut down cold. Will not restart unless I set it to the beginning of the spin cycle again, then it will again fill with water and repeat the pattern. Belts a little loose but even if belts removed the motor will not run if dial is turned past the water fill part of the spin cycle. I am guessing the timer is bad. Lid switch is ok - checked with ohm meter. I don't believe this model has any solenoids.

See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

Old 04-14-2011, 07:38 AM

MarkSchultz is on a distinguished road
Unhappy washing machine stops mid-cycle

Having the same problem with Whirlpool LXR9445JQO. I replaced the timer, but stops in the same place (6 min) regarless of cycle selection (quick,delicate,heavy,etc). Troubleshooting says replace the coupler behind the motor, but the motor isn't running at that point. Is this an electrical problem?
Old 04-14-2011, 06:35 PM

herbyreed is on a distinguished road

Ok I figured it out. The bulb on the tube which comes up to the vacuum fill switch was filled up with gunk. I cleaned it out and voila! It worked. For a while. I had taken the tub apart and apparently didn't get it back together right because it is binding now. The belt started squealing and smoking. But at least I know what the problem is/was. I will fix it tomorrow. I know one other time I took the tub apart and had trouble getting it back together. Next time I will just clean out the bulb and forget about taking the tub apart.
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.