Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
diyme  
#1 Posted : Sunday, January 11, 2009 3:41:36 PM(UTC)
diyme

Groups: Registered

I originally posted this as "Spins sometimes, sometimes not" but I have some more information that I have found and hope someone can help. The spin speed is slow when it spins at all. If it doesn't start spinning, I can give it a push and get it to start, but it's still slow. I disassembled the entire drive mechanism including the cover of the transmission. I noticed pretty deep scour marks in the top cover made by the large gear. The marks were much deeper near the main shaft. The shaft is very loose in the transmission housing. I can lean the shaft at least 1/4" even with the top cover on. I know this shaft has thrust bearings on the bottom end so the movement may be normal. But I don't think the scour/score? marks should be there. BUT, if this is not the problem, would the problem be more likely be the clutch? When it spins and I open the lid the brakes stop the tub immediately so I kind of ruled them out. The drive block does not appear to be the problem, but it could be, I guess. Someone give me their best guess as what to replace. Thanks!
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

Drags1998  
#2 Posted : Sunday, January 11, 2009 3:54:23 PM(UTC)
Drags1998

Groups: Senior Expert

Replace the CLUTCH, Don't worry about the marks or the play in the SHAFT!!!!:)
richappy  
#3 Posted : Monday, January 12, 2009 2:22:49 AM(UTC)
richappy

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)
I suspect you have dragging brake shoes. Go and enter in the search box my article "replacing direct drive brake shoes" and do the test in there to confirm.
diyme  
#4 Posted : Monday, January 12, 2009 5:55:39 PM(UTC)
diyme

Groups: Registered

Thanks for the help from all. I ordered a new clutch and will install it when it arrives. I tried the "replacing direct drive brake shoes" test. The tub will spin easily by hand so I don't think it's the brake shoes. However I have been wrong before and if the new clutch doesn't fix it, then brakes will be next. Again, thanks for the help!
richappy  
#5 Posted : Tuesday, January 13, 2009 1:42:09 AM(UTC)
richappy

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)
You might have a bad transmission leaking oil on the clutch, just check.
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply