Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Mike57  
#1 Posted : Saturday, April 2, 2011 1:44:26 PM(UTC)
Mike57

Groups: Registered

I have a maytag washer that is the quiet 4000 top load. During the spin cycle as it had a high speed spin is becoming very loud. I am not sure if it is a bearing going or there is a guide but I know it is on its way out. Does any one have an idea what needs tpo be replaced?
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

sidfink43  
#2 Posted : Monday, April 4, 2011 5:39:47 AM(UTC)
sidfink43

Groups: Senior Expert

It is very difficult to diagnose this type of problem without being there, so you will have to get into it and see if you can find the source of the noise.

This looks like a basic Whirlpool made Cabrio, here is a service manual that will help you disassemble and diagnose.

https://secured.whirlpoo...540a8f/$FILE/8178582.pdf
thorning  
#3 Posted : Friday, March 1, 2013 6:24:58 AM(UTC)
thorning

I have the opportunity to pick up a Maytag series 4000 front load washer in nice condition that is only about 2 years old for almost no cost. It has a bad bearing and sounds like a freight train when it spins according to the owner and they were told by the dealer it would cost at least $500 to repair it. If I do the work myself can this be repaired at a much lower cost due to my labor being free ? I am familar with appliance repairs and have tools and space but it sounds like these are throw away machines when a bearing fails.
Joe / APP Team  
#4 Posted : Friday, March 1, 2013 7:23:17 AM(UTC)
Joe / APP Team

Groups: Moderators

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
Originally Posted by: thorning Go to Quoted Post
I have the opportunity to pick up a Maytag series 4000 front load washer in nice condition that is only about 2 years old for almost no cost. It has a bad bearing and sounds like a freight train when it spins according to the owner and they were told by the dealer it would cost at least $500 to repair it. If I do the work myself can this be repaired at a much lower cost due to my labor being free ? I am familliar with appliance repairs and have tools and space but it sounds like these are throw away machines when a bearing fails.

Thorning, This sounds like an MAH4000 "Neptune" front load washer ? Nowadays, there are alternatives, and with free labor, you can save quite a bit of money, as long as the spinner support shaft is not damaged. You'll need the bearings, seal kit, bolt kit and lubricant, a hammer and drift pin or chisel to carefully tap the original bearings out of the outer tub housing. But, you do have to get the replacement bearings installed and seated properly, so you have to be diligent about that. If done properly, and the washer is maintained and used properly, it'll last you for quite a while.
remaker  
#5 Posted : Friday, March 1, 2013 7:39:07 AM(UTC)
remaker

There is a two part video on the common Neptune bearing failure:
MAYTAG NEPTUNE BEARING REPLACEMENT (PART 1) - YouTube
MAYTAG NEPTUNE BEARING REPLACEMENT (PART 2) - YouTube

And a few more videos as well. VERY common problem, somewhat tricky repair.
thorning  
#6 Posted : Sunday, July 13, 2014 10:09:44 AM(UTC)
thorning

I am considering buying a used front load Maytag Neptune that is 10 years old that is starting to make a lot of noise in the spin cycle. It sounds like the bearings are going bad. I have reviewed a lot of the material about this bearing replacement and believe I can handle it but my question to anyone with more experience is===does the tub and spinner have to be taken out to get the old bearings out and the new ones back in ? This is a Maytag series 6500 washer in very nice condition except for the bearing noise . Comments are invited from anyone with experience on this model. Also I estimate the parts cost if the tub is not damaged in the bores to be about $80 to $100.
Joe / APP Team  
#7 Posted : Monday, July 14, 2014 6:59:40 AM(UTC)
Joe / APP Team

I am considering buying a used front load Maytag Neptune that is 10 years old that is starting to make a lot of noise in the spin cycle. It sounds like the bearings are going bad. I have reviewed a lot of the material about this bearing replacement and believe I can handle it but my question to anyone with more experience is===does the tub and spinner have to be taken out to get the old bearings out and the new ones back in ? This is a Maytag series 6500 washer in very nice condition except for the bearing noise . Comments are invited from anyone with experience on this model. Also I estimate the parts cost if the tub is not damaged in the bores to be about $80 to $100.

Thorning, No, you won't have to remove the outer tub assembly, But you will need to remove the front of the washer, shroud, boot, tub cover and spin basket and shaft.

Presumably you mean this unit is a MAH6500, when you say " This is a Maytag series 6500 washer", so the previous post will apply to your machine. And a little time and a little money may be worth it. It makes for a good "Saturday morning project" and it you're careful and diligent, you'll get another 10 or 15 years out of the machine.
thorning  
#8 Posted : Tuesday, July 15, 2014 10:01:51 AM(UTC)
thorning

Are there different bearing and seal kits required for this machine depending on the s/n ? Where can I buy these parts most economically ?
Joe / APP Team  
#9 Posted : Tuesday, July 15, 2014 10:49:38 AM(UTC)
Joe / APP Team

Are there different bearing and seal kits required for this machine depending on the s/n ? Where can I buy these parts most economically ?

Thorning,
The best place to get your parts is right here at AppliancePartspros.com. All parts purchased have a 365 day "no hassle" return policy, and they have a one year parts warranty as well.
In your case the parts you need are pretty much "Universal" for all Newton built "Neptune" washers.

Lip Seal Kit Part number: AP4009088
Part number: AP4009088

Front Bearing Part number: AP4027296
Part number: AP4027296

Rear Bearing Part number: AP4027027
Part number: AP4027027

Bolt Kit Part number: AP4008658]
Part number: AP4008658]

Lubricant Part number: AP4027115
Part number: AP4027115

Provided there's little to no damage to the spinner support shaft, you'll have everything you need to service the washer.
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply